Stock Used GM Lifters

Just a Six??

OK! Who Farted??
These are the good ones with Stellite Foot from an 87 with low miles, bearings, lifters cam etc all in Very Good condition. Now, not that I am using them other than to just put in the old stuff pile but a question?
Remember its only a theoretical question & I have NO Plans to use them.
IF a person had these A-1 shape stellite foot lifters could they be used with a New Flat tappet Cam? Something like an Erson 208 for example with lots of Zinc additive. I know that New with New is best & I run roller anyways but just in case a friend had No $$ & I was just trying to help him out, would the New Cam & Old lifters break in together properly keeping in mind they are in Very Good Condition? No I dont have the stock cam either.
I said I wouldnt do it but now I have to ask the pro's here.
Cheers!
David

I think you could do it the other way: a good used cam with new lifters but a new cam with old lifters I believe are a No No!

Thats what I thought as well. Solid used cam with new lifters I have heard people do but had to ask. Thanks!

Unless I used the same cam the lifters were broken in on and the lifters were put back on the same lobes of the cam they broke in on I would not use them.

Unless I used the same cam the lifters were broken in on and the lifters were put back on the same lobes of the cam they broke in on I would not use them.

That I have done & worked fine, just switched blocks so I guess these stay in the "old days" pile!! :)

I don't see a problem using the cam/lifters in a different block as long as the lifters were put in the same lobe bores they came out of in relation to the cam.

I don't see a problem using the cam/lifters in a different block as long as the lifters were put in the same lobe bores they came out of in relation to the cam.

this is a real gamble--------the dimensions of the blocks we use vary quite a bit in lifter location and angle---------it would introduce a completely new breakin pattern on the lifter in most cases and is not a good idea--------i have measured a lot of these blocks and the variation is really great-------don't know if newer engines made with more modern machining methods would be the same way or not but since most modern engines have roller lifters it is a non issue anyway....................RC

this is a real gamble--------the dimensions of the blocks we use vary quite a bit in lifter location and angle---------it would introduce a completely new breakin pattern on the lifter in most cases and is not a good idea--------i have measured a lot of these blocks and the variation is really great-------don't know if newer engines made with more modern machining methods would be the same way or not but since most modern engines have roller lifters it is a non issue anyway....................RC

Would there be any way to resurface "within reason: a stellite foot ever so Slightly so they were almost new again??? Doubt it but gotta ask??
Thanks!

Yes lifters can be "rebuilt" and they used to do it years ago. It's not cost effective these days unless you have the equipment and can do it yourself though.

It would be difficult to resurface a lifter since they come slightly concave.

D

Yes lifters can be "rebuilt" and they used to do it years ago. It's not cost effective these days unless you have the equipment and can do it yourself though.

the GM lifter is precision ground to a 36 inch diameter---------not easy to do----------to set up and grind one set would cost you several times what a new set would cost