Stock Turbo Rebuild

84GNwith87eng

Thinking about getting the stocker rebuilt, I'd like to get a new housing when its rebuilt, mostly cause its pretty rusted and all.

How much would a rebuild generally cost, plus a new housing for the ol turbo? What can i expect to pay :confused:

Thanks

Chris

THERE ARE TWO PLACES I KNOW OF. POSTON SELLS A REBUILT FOR $400. THEY USE A THIRD PARTY REBUILDER. I WAS NOT SUCCESSUFUL WITH THEM. I FINALLY FOUND LIMIT ENGINEERING IN AZ. THEY SPECIALIZE IN GARRETT TURBOS WHICH IS WHAT WE HAVE. THE STOCK REBUILD IS $500, $625 FOR AN IMPROVED STOCK, AND I BELIEVE FOR $900 A TA 33C. THEY WILL SAND BLAST YOUR TURBO, MAKE IT PRETTY AND IT WILL WORK. I USED THEM AND STAND BY THEM. BRAD

I agee. Poston is good for body parts. Well they sell them.

I would lay down the extra money. Because you get what you pay for.

Just my opion.....Learned the hard way.

Poston's turbos are from Limit(John Craig) at least they were a couple of years ago & I'll bet they still are. I confirmed this with John himself, it's a good idea to get your facts straight before you bash a good vendor!

Yup, most of Postons turbos are from JC. Same with Kirban. Only the PT series from Poston are from PTE. LT (Limit turbo), most TE/TA from poston are from JC.
Both companys are the best around for our cars. Sometimes turbos fail, but it is hard to place the blame on any one thing. Could be from dirty oil lines/ bearings going bad in motor, too much crankcase pressure not allowing oil to return to pan from turbo, on and on. It is easy to blame the turbo rebuilder.

I appologize. A friend had a bad time awhile back.

Wasn't for the record bashing, anyone.

Merely trying to help.

You see you taught me......Hope this is excepted.Rob

I was not bashing Poston at all. They have always been very helpful and a very nice company to do business with.

I bought a rebuilt turbo from Poston when I got a new motor. This turbo failed after 3000 miles and ruined my CAT by plugging it with oil. It also plugged up my breather pipe(Limit Engineering figured this out two turbos later). Turbo two and three failed right away due to a pressurized block. Myself, my mechanic and Poston could not figure out the problem. I in desperation called Limit and they diagnosed the problem right away. I had them rebuild the turbo and all is well. Poston always stood by their turbo rebuilder and never hassled me over the turbo failure problem.

I had to pay for the Limit rebuild because it was not Poston's fault. I still do business now and will in the future. My only point is that if you have Garrett turbo problem-Go to the experts and pay the price, You will save alot of money in the long run. Brad