Stock Turbo Question

turbo luver

I am just wondering how much boost I can run safely with a stock turbo.

I have available to me 42# injectors and a TT chip set for 17-18 # of boost. Just wondering if I can accomplish this with a stock turbo. Hoping to run a TE44 or equivalent at some point, but not right now.

Thanks in advance

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Safely is a bit of a loaded statement. If your car is in good working order with correct fuel supply and no exhaust leaks, misses, or other malfunctions a stock turbo can get you around 18# on 93 octane on a stock engine with no trouble. The stock turbos on these cars can carry you a ways. Also, a scanmaster will help you identify many of the parameters that define good working order including knock retard and it can't be stated enough how important it is to have one on these cars.

What he said^ - everything's gotta be in good order.

I pushed 26 psi through my stock turbo with E85. Very fun ride.

Some can't run more than 12psi knock free. Your question begs the question; what are you using to monitor knock now? You can run a stock turbo WAY over 20psi on an unopened motor, but octane will limit your ability to get there. With a small cam and good heads, a stock turbo might not even make 15psi of boost; get it?

The stock turbo can make enough boost to blow your engine to bits. It's not your limiting factor right now.

The motor is bone stock with 34000 miles on it. Car has a hotwire kit, knock gauge, scanmaster, fuel pressure gauge. I am not sure what pump is it the car. It seems to run good with no problems.

It has a stock MAF so I might want to switch that ?.

I'm one of those noobs who has no problems with a stock Maf. I might change my mind if I ever tried a translator with lt1 or ls1, but for now it continues to act right and perform well enough for me.
I say if it works, spend th money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The motor is bone stock with 34000 miles on it. Car has a hotwire kit, knock gauge, scanmaster, fuel pressure gauge. I am not sure what pump is it the car. It seems to run good with no problems.

It has a stock MAF so I might want to switch that ?.

The TT chip has maf lock I believe so that should be no problem