Votes: 48 57.8%
  • WTF??!!

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Anyone still using it?

Looks like I'm in the majority. I use it. Oh wait, I'm the only one to vote....so far. Actually, I should vote twice, because I use it in both of my running cars.

this has been covered so many times. dont understand why people dont run it. its not hurting anything and cooler oil is happy oil. the only reason i can see not to run on is if you trashed your motor and have a fresh motor and dont want to hook it up to the old oil cooler/radiator.

this has been covered so many times. dont understand why people dont run it. its not hurting anything and cooler oil is happy oil. the only reason i can see not to run on is if you trashed your motor and have a fresh motor and dont want to hook it up to the old oil cooler/radiator.

Yea, well, maybe I need to know for a different reason than all the other times "it's been covered" ;)

Yea, well, maybe I need to know for a different reason than all the other times "it's been covered" ;)

i can understand that jay. i wasnt directing the post to you just a general post to everyone.

The stock cooler is the biggest piece of crap they ever installed on a Buick. It restricts flow and robs oil pressure and does ABSOLUTELY nothing to cool the oil after the cooler in the rad has been heat soaked. We ABSOLUTELY remove them on every installation performed at the shop. The stock radiator will trap debri, especially on a car that has trashed an engine and circulate it into the system. Ditch it!

has anyone ever taken a temp probe and checked the temp with and without a cooler?

Agree with EightSecV6, especially if you've had a motor go, no way is that thing going back on.

You can add a few quarts to your system with the PTE, even a preluber, and then run a thicker oil to help the 212 temp viscosity and I bet it's not a huge deal. These cars run cold in comparison to other turbo cars.

Facory

Have PTS deep baby bath tranny pan with temp probe /Gauge and use the stock location radiator cooler and have never seen it over 170 after some hard runs. Infact the original owner said he'd like to have seen warmer operating temprature. Heat is a tranny's enemy. Always wanted to ask a seasoned experienced racers if there is a specific operating temp that you like your tranny fluid to work at that makes tranny more efficent? Some oils and fluids protective properties don't work or protect till a specic workin temp is reached. TIA

I don't use mine do to the aforementioned trashed engine syndrome. If it helps with what you have going on though I will be installing an aftermarket cooler in the not too distant future.

The stock cooler is the biggest piece of crap they ever installed on a Buick. It restricts flow and robs oil pressure and does ABSOLUTELY nothing to cool the oil after the cooler in the rad has been heat soaked. We ABSOLUTELY remove them on every installation performed at the shop. The stock radiator will trap debri, especially on a car that has trashed an engine and circulate it into the system. Ditch it!

ditto

I just took mine off yesterday because I am one of those 'I hate clutter' type of guys. I beat the sh!t out of the car just before pulling it into the driveway and let it sit while the dual fans ran through a cycle and the I shut her off. Not exactly scientific, but right after I shut her off, I grabbed the oil filter to see how hot things felt and I could grasp the filter for about 2-3 seconds before I had to let go. Didn't exactly feel like things were coking up in there.

With a 160* stat, f-body radiator and dual fans, I've never seen coolant temps over 169 even on a 95+ degree humid day down here in FL.

Since we're on the subject, if anyone wants the oil cooler, I left the lines attached so it would be a plug-n-play set up for $50. If you want pics, I did the F-body radiator swap write up that is found on turbobuicks.com and gnttype.org. It's the exact same cooler and lines as in the photos. Got about 10k miles on it since the install.

I am running my stock one. BUT if I lose the engine. I will not reuse it.

As One Of The Top Engine Builders Told Me..( Dls ) You Only Need A Oil Cooler If Your Going To Bonnville