stock injectors,blown head gaskets and boost

turbo9

i have a n 87 gn with a t44 and champion cnc ported heads. i am running 24 psi and just blew my second set of head gaskets. i am sending the heads in to be o ringed but is the stock injectors too small and causing this?

oringing

head gaskets are like a "relief" valve for the engine, when cylinder pressures are abnormal, (AKA detonation) they will blow.

If you keep blowing head gaskets you have other problems, too much timing, boost(sounds like 24 psi is a bit high) on pump gas???

Might as well join the DOTC club now, because if you Oring the heads and the gasket does not blow, you'll send the crank through the side of the block.

Yes, the stock injectors are WAY too small for your setup, we would reccomend minimum 42.5 Lucas injector.

<KM@>MPE

Yea, I'd say the Te-44 blowing 24 lbs. of boost through ported heads is waaaaay too much for the stock injectors to keep up with. Either turn the boost down (cheapest alternative) or get some larger injectors.

Ed

Let me guess, never done this before? I'm assuming it's a TE44? Your gonna need atleast 50# injectors to keep up with those heads at that boost. IT"S NOT THE GASKETS FAULT!!

Way too much air, not enough fuel. You want the capability to reverse that. Go over board on the fuel system, you have enough air to possibly run 10s.........if you knew what you were doing;)

Re: injecrors

Originally posted by turbo9
will the small injectors couse the head gaskets to blow?

its not the injectors that are making the head gaskets blow-

its the high boost and DETONATION caused by too much timing and not enough OCTANE-

might as well pull the oil pan off and scrape the rest of the head gasket material off the pick up tube...

and check the bearings which are probably toasted by now too-

what fuel were you running at 20+ psi of boost?

get some MSD 50'S injectors and run good gas, or have some type of octane supplment,... ie alky kit or propane

HTH

You did not say so or not but you must have an upgraded fuel pump and the bigger injectors.

You will keep on killing the motor without both.

Re: Re: injecrors

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
its not the injectors that are making the head gaskets blow-

its the high boost and DETONATION caused by too much timing and not enough OCTANE-HTH

Well, yes, but it's the injectors that are the root cause of these problems.

It's bad enough running the TE44, with the stock injectors, but then push it up to that high boost level, AND run that through ported heads.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I run a TE44 through stock heads/motor and MSD50's, and they're pushing over 80% duty cycle at 25# of boost. I'm quite sure if I added a set of ported heads into that mixture that the fuel requirements would increase exponentially, and my duty cycle would probably start pushing up into the high 90% range.

That car has to be running HORRIBLY lean and detonating like CRAZY.

Take another step back!

Lets go one step back. It is not the injectors, boost, or fuel. If there was a scan tool being used, the limit of the combo would be known. Regardless of the setup, this combo can only run a certain amount of boost. Find out what it is, and stay there!!! Next look at your fuel system.

i have a n 87 gn with a t44 and champion cnc ported heads. i am running 24 psi and just blew my second set of head gaskets. i am sending the heads in to be o ringed but is the stock injectors too small and causing this?

Limited Eng suggests 36s (as a min.) for a 44.
PT+E suggests 42s (as a min.).
And that's assuming enough fuel pump.

Add in headwork and 50s would be a MIN..

55s will give you all the injector you need, and still have excellent street manners. Thou when you get to 55s you need a *good* chip or perferably a way to fine tune your car, ie Translator Plus or ME.

Less then the above at 24 PSI and you'll get alot more practice at doing headgaskets.

With a 44 you can be on the serious side of 2 HP per CID.

Originally posted by SuperSix
I smell a troll..

I do too. How could anyone be so clueless. I could see if he just bought the car or something, but come on, anyone dumb enough to not fix the problem after the first blown set has a mechanic with a nice big boat.

not a troll

i just bought the car and am looking for some help thats all. if that is too much to ask i guess i can always go buy a mustang.

Re: not a troll

i just bought the car and am looking for some help thats all. if that is too much to ask i guess i can always go buy a mustang.

DING DING DING!!

Troll Alarm!

You are entertaining if nothing else.. :p

You guys sure like to jump with no info :mad:

No troll, just somebody that needs help and advice, which of course is why we're here, right?

the troll statement is uncalled for!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

you people need to be smacked!!!!!!!!!

what the hell did this guy do to you?????!!!!!!!!!!

there isnt a law against not knowing something!!!!!!!

obviously you people grew up not knowing anything!!!!!!!!!

did it ever occur to you that this gentlemen wants to learn what he doesnt know?maybe thats why he is asking?:rolleyes:

maybe you should ask yourself why understanding isnt part of the way you think IDIOT !!!!!!!!

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!! :) :) :)

Re: Re: Re: injecrors

Originally posted by TurboDave
Well, yes, but it's the injectors that are the root cause of these problems.

It's bad enough running the TE44, with the stock injectors, but then push it up to that high boost level, AND run that through ported heads.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I run a TE44 through stock heads/motor and MSD50's, and they're pushing over 80% duty cycle at 25# of boost. I'm quite sure if I added a set of ported heads into that mixture that the fuel requirements would increase exponentially, and my duty cycle would probably start pushing up into the high 90% range.

That car has to be running HORRIBLY lean and detonating like CRAZY.

DITO!!!

You ARE running out of injector with your combo! Make sure you also have an aftermarket fuel pump that is hot wired to supply enough voltage or the larger injectors still won't keep up.

OK if youre not a troll why didnt you find out what caused the first blown head gasket

If you are really sincere then I apologize. I just have no tolerance for people who drive around in there cars and dont give one lick as to how it works or what causes things to happen. And thats the way your original post made it look to me. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Turbotwister you may want to check your "!" key it may be worn out. Thanks for using your freedom of speech so well

Originally posted by turbotwister
the troll statement is uncalled for!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

you people need to be smacked!!!!!!!!!

what the hell did this guy do to you?????!!!!!!!!!!

there isnt a law against not knowing something!!!!!!!

obviously you people grew up not knowing anything!!!!!!!!!

did it ever occur to you that this gentlemen wants to learn what he doesnt know?maybe thats why he is asking?:rolleyes:

maybe you should ask yourself why understanding isnt part of the way you think IDIOT !!!!!!!!

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!! :) :) :)

Ya, unfortunately, there's a LOT of people on this list lately that like to think they grew up as turbo experts, but unfortunately, the more they blow, the more it's obvious they're not.

I happen to know the person suffering the dilema, and the "armchair experts" don't have all the facts, but sure like to jump down someone's throat dispite their lack of facts.
No, he's not an idiot, nor even a "hot rod" rookie. He's actually a VERY knowledgable hot rodder, who is just getting into the Turbo Regal relm and is somewhat new to fuel injection, and turbo charging, and how critically they must work together.

I'm sure all the "armchair experts" would like to think they knew all there was to know about fuel injection, and turbo charging the very day they bought their first Turbo Regal. The unfortunate truth is, they weren't, and many still aren't.
And a few of you in this thread know exactly who you are.

You "armchair experts" ever wonder why many/most of the long time, true Turbo Regal experts have left these lists??? (Trust me, I'm getting real close too). No, they haven't died, haven't "gone away". They're still out there, running quicker and smoother than ever. Just got totally fed up with the immature BS that goes on, with these lists the last few years.

It's absolutely amazing, somebody buys a GN, and 3 months later they're experts. :confused:

Furtunately Turbo9 and I will get his combo square'd away in short order, but it won't be here, and won't be to the benefit of the armchair idiots that abound.

Trust me, this will be my last post on this thread, so don't try to pull me down into your little quagmire with an arguement about how much you think you might know.

I'm outa here.