Starting to lose interest...

Welby

Not sure, what happened or when, but I've noticed that I've lost a lot of interest in the Buick anymore. Last year, I put maybe 300 miles on the car and it's to the point where it's just sitting around taking up space. There are a few things I want(ed) to do to the car, but I just can't get the motivation to even start.
In the fall of '07 I took my dad up to the dragstrip and had a blast, then pretty must stored the car away after that, then last June my dad died and it pretty much took the wind out of my sails. I've had the car out a few times and it's just not the same. I used to take it out and get a lot of happiness out of cruising around, going to car shows and also watching people check the car out, but now I couldn't care less.
Probably doesn't help that I bought a 5 speed '05 Legacy GT last spring and it's a ton of fun to drive. I bought a used Accessport for it and am basically an uppipe and downpipe away from 305 horsepower, which honestly is plenty for me.
I also inherited '90 Ford F150 from him (Mom really wanted me to have it), so now I've got the Legacy, Buick, truck and an '03 Suzuki SV1000 motorcycle. It's getting to be too much to keep up with. I really don't want to sell the Buick, but if anything were to go, I'm afraid it would be the one... Arrgghhh, this sucks. There are a few things I'd want to take care of before attempting to sell it and the way prices are going now, is it even worth trying? *sigh* :(

Sorry for rambling, I'm just stumped on what to do....

Man its gonna take a few years to get to the point where you can grab the hammer he used to use.
For quite awhile anything I did that would remind me, I didnt want to do cause it just wasnt the same.

When you power down for the night set your dream up then ask him, he will come to you with an answer.

best I can put it

Maybe put it on "ice" for a while. Mine sat for 2 years with a blown motor and no motivation from an ugly divorce and other interests. Got back into it for 4 years and now it has been up on stands since October. Getting motivation now to fix it again. I know I would regret it if I sold it. My 02

I think your post is your answer. When you and your dad went out in the car you guys had a blast. Don't let his pasing minimize what this car did for you guys. I think, if he was anything like my dad, he'd want you to keep doing the things I love and celebrate life. Life is all too short, enjoy it; live it to the fullest.

I rarely drive my TR's and I sometimes wonder if it's worth the time and money but on the rare occassion one of them comes out of the garage and I hit the boost, there is nothing that gives me the grin of satisfaction that a TR does - well almost nothing;) - I digress- you get my point.

Don't sell this car just because you think you've lost interest. (You haven't lost interest rather, you have been distracted) Give the ol' girl a chance. Fill'er up and scrub her down and take her out for a night on the town. With any luck some poor fool will want a piece of the action... :D

When you return home, you'll wonder how you could ever have thought of letting her go.

I thought of selling mine recently for the money. I even had an offer that was what I would want for it. I took it for a drive and when I returned, I called him back and told him I couldn't do it.

I started thinking of all the cars that I had and wished I had not sold. That did the trick.

Hang on to it. You will get the fever back.

At least hang onto it for now, the market is crap. You will gain interest again eventually.

Old age talkin here.. Hell add up all the years of the guys that have already posted and I am prob older :eek: Cars come and go.. I have had so many I really wouldn't know where to begin.. 427 Shelby Cobra's and Vette's, more Shelby Mustangs and of course fleets of Buicks :rolleyes: .. I got tired of all of them BUT I am old.. keep a car 20 years and then tell me you still feel the same as when ya got it:eek: Life moves on. Don't take it to serious. IF ya did miss anything..remember it can always be replaced :cool:

Old age talkin here.. Hell add up all the years of the guys that have already posted and I am prob older :eek: Cars come and go.. I have had so many I really wouldn't know where to begin.. 427 Shelby Cobra's and Vette's, more Shelby Mustangs and of course fleets of Buicks :rolleyes: .. I got tired of all of them BUT I am old.. keep a car 20 years and then tell me you still feel the same as when ya got it:eek: Life moves on. Don't take it to serious. IF ya did miss anything..remember it can always be replaced :cool:

I will agree that it is just a car and can be replaced. I have had mine since new. I've also had my GS since '85. I'll never sell either but I do know they are just cars and can be replaced. I bought each to drive. Neither have been tagged in over a decade or in running condition, but my children come first. Soon the T will be together.

You gotta do what you feel is necessary but if it is paid for and you have a place, I'd keep it, but that's me.

Tell ya what...I've had my 87 since high school and grew up with the car (26 now) and they will bury me with that car when I go. It's all torn apart with nothing but the interior at the moment, but now I'm fixin to put it back together. At this point, I got it down into the 11.0 range at 125 mph and could have ran mid 10s, but I get more enjoyment out of driving and cruising with the car. I got disinterested not in the car itself, but spending oodles upon oodles of coin to go fast.

I bought my 86 that I just recently sold for the sheer purpose of trying to replace my 87. When I drove the 86, sure it was a nice daily driver stock car, but it just wasn't the same as driving my 87. I thought I was gonna be happy driving a GN again, but it never felt like it was mine. Thus the money I got out of that car, I'm spending on the 87 putting a stock motor and trans back in it and will have it on the road again soon.

My point is...if you have a history with the car, you will regret selling it. I know people on here say oh its just a car and can be replaced, but can it really? If you are one of those types of people who always live in the present then sure...it won't bother you one bit. But I tend to live in the past sometimes and never forget where I came from...and it would absolutely kill me if something happened to my 87. Take it for what its worth. Good luck.

Take it for what its worth. Good luck.

Good post. I'm starting to feel the same way about spending all the money on it. Especially me who doesn't take it to the track or anything. And it seems like the more money I spend, the more problems that appear. Couldn't leave well enough alone!

If it's any consolation I have an 83 that I'm in the process of gathering parts for. My parents never approved of my obcession with cars or weapons and I let several get away from me. Does it piss me off? H*LL yes. There are several I would love to get back but such is life. If you have the car now keep it for at least a year and think of the times you've had with your father. Then decide. If it's not a money issue hang on for a while.

Sorry about your loss, i think if it stirs up bad memories and brings you down then move on, but it sounds like you had a blast with your dad and shared many great moments together in THAT car. True cars can be replaced but THAT car cant be replaced because THATS the car. I'm sure you have a blast in your Sooby but it ain't the Buick and it will fade fast.

I have had my Buick since 93, built a stage 2 motor in 96 and its been driven 300 miles since. My dad hated the car cause i spent so much time and money on it but when i took him for a ride he nearly crapped his pants and it took him back to the old days when he had his GTO. He would never forgive me if i sold mine and that makes it all worth it. Hopefully someday you can share some great memories with your kids in that Buick.

Havent posted here in a bit. I have had my 87 since I graduated HS in 01 and now after much money, lots of runs down the track, two new transmissions, etc... I have enjoyed the car so much. All of the shows, the comments, just being able to pull on pretty much anything that is in the streets puts a smile on my face I cant describe to most. I have recently thought about selling it and it hurts my heart to even think about it. I go into the garage and look at her in shame that I even thought about it.

See to some yeah it is just a car even car guys have that feeling. But I'm so attached to this car like it is an extension of myself. If that is the feeling you have then yes, you will regret selling it. You can replace it but still it wont be "your" car. I say if you dont "need" to sell it then dont man. Especially when the last good memory you have is when you and your Pop took it to the strip...

Take her for a nice run and I bet you will not even think about selling it anymore.. :biggrin:

Just my 2 pennies...

Been going thru the same thing myself. I have a nice restored old school classic that just sits in my dad's garage and I want to get it out and bring it home so i can drive it more often...problem is lack of garage space to do it. So I considered selling the TR but then I realized I'd never get anywhere close out of it what I have in it plus I'd kick myself plus I'd no longer actually have a fast car. It's hard though....I wished I had a 2 car garage.

Stumbled across this thread and I too was in the same boat. Like Don said, they would have to bury me in my GN. It has been my dream car since 96. And there is nothing more I like than it. I got my first 1986 GN in 2000 and started tinkering with it (never truly seen the road much after that first summer). I always had goals that never got done. I met my wife, was going to school at night while working 48 hours a week. Not to mention I would change my mind about parts every second (just ask DR BOOST:biggrin: ). I always wanted an 87, so when the opportunity arose, I sold the 86 and purchased a new 87 project back in fall of 2007. So here we sit, its 2009, and I have owned a GN since 2001 and yet have only driven it one summer. I now am married, recently (march 25) had a beautiful little baby girl who has just taken over number one on the priority list, and I have learned to enjoy every little bit that I work on the car. Everyone asks me when it will be done. I always answer "I don't know and I don't care". When it is done, I know that I will enjoy every little bit of blood, sweat, and tears that went into it. And I cannot wait to give my little girl a ride in it.:)

I started thinking of all the cars that I had and wished I had not sold. That did the trick.

Hang on to it. You will get the fever back.

+1

You can look at it two ways. You can't bear to look at the car because you and your dad shared time enjoying it, or you and your dad shared time enjoying it so you can't part with it. When the pain fades a little I suspect it would be the later, and you will want that car around to remind you of what a great guy he was. Hang on to it for a while. Never make a decision while your mad or upset, you will usually regret the outcome.

It wasnt till i found this board that i got the BIG bug to work on mine (rivical can back me on that) I will say take a brake but dont let your dreams go because you do that you lose intrest in life. I have had mine for ten+ yers and i left them sit. Now i regret it.

i've been through this ALSO, I had one that i sold before heading to the army
and man when i got back home i missed the car so much, i could'nt wait till i got another one. As soon as i did get another one I took the family for a 2 hr drive. fast forward to your problem, I too think that way at times, i sometimes feel for the amount of money that i have pumped into the car i could have had a new BMW or a Benz or a new challenger. but i know as soon as i sell it i'm going to wish i had it back. so i keep it and enjoy it when i can, my kids love it and i've meet some really cool people along the way.:cool: keep it those feelings will pass.

I've had 3 GNs along the way. Still have an 87 T. Sold my latest GN last summer, bought an 06 GTO with a 6 speed, blue leather interior and 600 miles. Found it very liberating, actually. A lot of good things have happened to cars in 20 years.

People that tell you giving up your car is a big deal.....and people telling that it isn't are ALL DOPES!

It's personal. Everybody's level of attachment to these cars, or any object, pet, person, etc is DIFFERENT.

THink about it. Do whatever is the right thing for you. But, DO think about it long and hard.