Stalls when cold in reverse

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I recently put a Vigilante 5-disk converter in my car. As I've mentioned before, it's nice and tight under normal situations and loosens up when you get on it. I really like this feature of the converter. However, it's so tight that when I put the car in reverse in open loop the car stalls. Every time. It does go into reverse HARD. Once the car is warmed up it's fine, but trying to back out of the garage when it's cold is a PITA. Doesn't do it when I put it in drive - it's close but it's able to correct itself. Doesn't matter what chip is in it, either. Extender 98, Extender 108, Turbo Tweak 100, 110 and 114. All do it.

Should I have the TC loosened up? Or is there something I can do mechanically to compensate?

TIA,
Jim

:smile: the most inexpensive fix for this is back it into the garage when warm , sorry don't know how to fix this just had to be the smart a$$, i'm sure someone will chime in.

:smile: the most inexpensive fix for this is back it into the garage when warm , sorry don't know how to fix this just had to be the smart a$$, i'm sure someone will chime in.

At least you bumped it up.

I'd back it in if I could but my garage is so small that I can't get out of it. I need to pull it in nose-first in order to be able to open my door. So what I've been doing is letting it roll out of the garage and down the driveway before I put it in gear. Or I rev it up before I drop it into reverse which can't be good for anything. It's a pain in the butt.

Jim

You think yours is bad! You ought to have a vigilante crambed full of 7 discs, like mine. I've learned to feather the throttle (foot on brake of course) when shifting into gear. :frown:

You think yours is bad! You ought to have a vigilante crambed full of 7 discs, like mine. I've learned to feather the throttle (foot on brake of course) when shifting into gear. :frown:

So it's a symptom of the multi-disk? I wasn't aware of that. I guess I can live with it as long as I know what's causing it. I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the converter or the engine.

Jim

So it's a symptom of the multi-disk? I wasn't aware of that. I guess I can live with it as long as I know what's causing it. I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the converter or the engine.

Jim

How did the IAC check out?

5 Disc

Jim, mine does the same thing when it's cold but after it's warm it doesn't do it. Like TurboDave said, just feather the throttle a little if you have to back it out cold.

Jim, mine does the same thing when it's cold but after it's warm it doesn't do it. Like TurboDave said, just feather the throttle a little if you have to back it out cold.

I'm not sure what you mean by feather the throttle? On a cold start it's already revving pretty high. You mean drop it in gear and feather the throttle real quick to keep it running? I can try that.

Jim

Yes, of course I have my foot on the brake, but as I'm pulling the shifter into R I'm blipping the throttle a little. Takes some practice to know how much. It was really interesting trying to get out of the garage up in WI and MI.Thankfully I don't have to worry about those type of weather temps any longer.

Yes, of course I have my foot on the brake, but as I'm pulling the shifter into R I'm blipping the throttle a little. Takes some practice to know how much. It was really interesting trying to get out of the garage up in WI and MI.Thankfully I don't have to worry about those type of weather temps any longer.

That's the same thing I do. It's funny, it's gotten to be so much of a habit doing it in the GN that I tend to do it with my other vehicles too.

That's the same thing I do. It's funny, it's gotten to be so much of a habit doing it in the GN that I tend to do it with my other vehicles too.

Before I replaced the PowerMaster in my GN a few weeks ago I had gotten used to pumping the pedal in order to get the car to stop. I still do it and nearly put myself through the windshield every time.

I found out something interesting this morning: when cold, if I put the car in reverse with the e-brake on and my foot off the brake it won't stall. I guess with just the back brakes locked up the suspension absorbs enough of the shock that it doesn't stall. Dunno, but it works without having to stab the gas pedal.

Jim