Stage I to Stage II Conversion

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
O.K. guys, here's another Techy question for you. I still have been thinking and thinking about it and I'm looking for some suggestions from you all.

Question - If you had the choice and still wanted a Stage II, would you spend a ton of money on building a Full-Up Stage II Motor or would you, like in my case, just rebuild my current Stage I and convert it to a Complete Stage II with all the "Bells and Whistles'?

Would I be out of a ton of more money by doing it from the ground up or could I save $ thousands and thousands by just converting my current Stage I?

Finally, for those who suggest converting to a Stage II, what additional parts would be required to make it 8-Second potential? (I would like to get this work done over the winter, once I make up my mind)

Thanks

flipmo

At the level of HP that you are taking about, I would not waste the time or money on a Stage 1. I had a brand new one and it cracked in between the freeze out plugs on the passenger side. I did everything to that block to make it bullet proof and it still failed. The last straw came when it started cracking in the lifter area.That was the lowest point of my quest for more power. I honestly feel that a well prepared stock block with a girdle is a stronger piece and would make a better platform. I know of at least five other Buick owners on the west coast with the same problem on their Stage 1 blocks. I think the new Stage 2 castings will be out in Dec.,you might want to wait if you cannot find a good used block.
Jeff

Jeff Rand said:
At the level of HP that you are taking about, I would not waste the time or money on a Stage 1. I had a brand new one and it cracked in between the freeze out plugs on the passenger side. I did everything to that block to make it bullet proof and it still failed. The last straw came when it started cracking in the lifter area.That was the lowest point of my quest for more power. I honestly feel that a well prepared stock block with a girdle is a stronger piece and would make a better platform. I know of at least five other Buick owners on the west coast with the same problem on their Stage 1 blocks. I think the new Stage 2 castings will be out in Dec.,you might want to wait if you cannot find a good used block.
Jeff
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????????

Jeff- what number on your stage1 block? i thought they were as strong as the stage2 blocks?

otto perneck is selling a complete stage 2 just done from a very good builder RPE. give him a shout