Stage 2 single turbo header fabrication

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I'm building a set of single turbo stage 2 headers for another member. Instead of doing the stock/ATR style of header with the crossover going under the motor, we are going to try something different. With the crossover in front of the motor, there is plenty of room for spark plug and header bolt access. The downside to this arangement is it's next to impossible to run an A/C compressor.

1 3/4 stainless 16 gauge tubing, 1/2" mild steel flanges. Everything is just tacked together at this point. The turbo (a t4 sized) will sit a little bit forward of the stock location.
CIMG0892.jpg

CIMG0893.jpg

CIMG0894.jpg

CIMG0895.jpg

CIMG0896.jpg

CIMG0897.jpg

Mike,

I remade my S2 passenger side header a few years back to replace the leaky ATR POS. I struggled coming up with a good design to keep the turbo supported and yet account for the growth of the tubes when hot. At first I had the turbo mounted solid to the front of the head, but I found out that the turbo likes to move around too much when the header heats up. That will just cause cracks down the road. I came up with a slotted design where the turbo weight is supported in the vertical axis but allows the turbo to float right-left and front-back. I don't have a picture to post, but come by and see me in BG.......bring that rocker shaft too!!!:biggrin:

Dave

Mike, make sure that you make a jig for that setup. I bet you can sell a ton of what you have. A person would then have the option of twins or a "ram" horn high or low into a big single. Supply some 4 bolt flanges and there you have it. I need my tunnel ram intake to look just like that one.

I'm building a set of single turbo stage 2 headers for another member. Instead of doing the stock/ATR style of header with the crossover going under the motor, we are going to try something different. With the crossover in front of the motor, there is plenty of room for spark plug and header bolt access. The downside to this arangement is it's next to impossible to run an A/C compressor.

1 3/4 stainless 16 gauge tubing, 1/2" mild steel flanges. Everything is just tacked together at this point. The turbo (a t4 sized) will sit a little bit forward of the stock location.
CIMG0892.jpg

CIMG0893.jpg

CIMG0894.jpg

CIMG0895.jpg

CIMG0896.jpg

CIMG0897.jpg

You want to make me a set or better yet fix my Passenger ATR I have...The person who had them before cut off the Flange section to adapt a Pro Mod Turbo..

I'll get some pics tonight. I got the turbo flange cut and I ordered a new wastegate flange. I've been working on the turbo flange to head mount, but I had to order some material for it. Your intake is ready to weld up also, just have to find time to go to a friends shop to use his bigger tig.

With that style of routing, why not tune the primary lengths? Like you said, there's plenty of room. You could be missing out on a lot of top end hp.

These aren't for an N/A drag engine where we are trying to extract the last few of power. We'll add 1lb. of boost to the motor and make twice that.

If I were to make these "tuned" equal length it would cost at least another $500 in labor and another $500 in materials and custom accessory brackets only to gain a few hp at best. That $1K could buy another turbo and double the power.

These aren't for an N/A drag engine where we are trying to extract the last few of power. We'll add 1lb. of boost to the motor and make twice that.

If I were to make these "tuned" equal length it would cost at least another $500 in labor and another $500 in materials and custom accessory brackets only to gain a few hp at best. That $1K could buy another turbo and double the power.
I doubt it would be just a few HP with other changes made to take advantage of tuned lengths.
Even if this were just a street application or show, nothing beats the look of tuned length turbo headers, IMO.
You have all that room all the way up to the hood.

This thread is very long overdue for an update.
I drug my feet for a little while on the headers, then they changed hands between a couple members and after a turbo size change, here they are.

The turbo is a precision PT8884. Basically a GT4788, but with a T4 exhaust housing. It's huge and I wish it was mine.

First I had to make a mount for the turbo. It's so much larger than a T4 that it has to sit much further towards the passenger inner fender and further out from the motor.
CIMG0993-1.jpg

The mount bolts to the front of the head and suports the turbo at the oil drain flange.
CIMG1002.jpg

Bottom view. I had since added an 1/2" npt bung to the bottom of the mount for the oil drain fitting.
CIMG0996.jpg

Then I roughly fitting the crossover to make sure it would work in that position. Next, I had to fully weld the headers. They move around a little as they are welded, so before I can fully fit the crossover, the headers need to be finished.
Drivers side finished up to the V-band flange.
CIMG0999.jpg

Passenger side finished up to the V-band flange.
CIMG1000.jpg

Finishing the crossover and fitting the wastegate nozzle are all that's left.

One more pic looking at the drivers side from near the master cylinder showing clearance to a jeep steering shaft.
CIMG0998.jpg

Fitting the rest of the crossover. I had to clear the steering box, but still go low in front of the balancer to give access to the front of the motor and clear intercooler tubes.
CIMG1003.jpg

CIMG1006.jpg

Once everything was fit, it's time to pull it back apart and fully weld it. Because I'm mocking this up on an off-center block and using some stage heads that were decked to the limit, the crossover can't be fully welded. When the owner of the headers gets his on-center motor assembled, he can fit the crossover based on his heads, head gaskets and block. Just a couple joints to weld.
CIMG1007.jpg

CIMG1012.jpg

These are DONE. This was the last project on my list to finish up for other people Now it's time to get back to work on my car.

I should have kept that set of headers:( Great work Mike!! NOW get ur car done!! Maybe I'll be in Tennessee soon and give you a call.....