stage 2 head question?

The 031 heads are the standard that almost all type engines used. The 185 head was the latest thing produced for Indy cars. The 185 head was developed along with a new short deck block that relocated the lifter bores for use with those heads. Basically the 185 head cannot be used on a standard stage 2 block!! The square port design moves the intake over enough it takes special rocker arms , head studs and relocated lifters for the pushrods to clear the relocated intake port. If you have and plan to use a short deck block with the relocated lifters you would use these heads. Otherwise you need to steer clear because nothing remotely normal work with them.

I have a couple of the low deck blocks and would be intrested in 185 heads if you know where a set is and your not intrested in them. BTW for everones info the low deck blocks are basically 1.250" shorter than a standard block and only very short stroke cranks can be used with this block because the deck height. This was designed for Indy cars that had engines around 200 cubic inches. Mike:cool:

i know that, its just a lil confusing all the stuff u were saying about the heads and what they would fit.:confused:

i know that, its just a lil confusing all the stuff u were saying about the heads and what they would fit.:confused:

OK , let me clearify this a bit. Those heads will bolt right on any stage 2 block. The top 3 head bolts will need to be the long type as in the 2nd row , a more offset rocker(indy) will need to be used. But in the end , if the head is ported and tried on a standard stage block ,you will not be able to get a pushrod to clear the intake port wall without some MAJOR work!! The port is simply too wide (moves toward the pushrod maybe 3/8"). On a standard stage 2 setup the pushrod basically rubs the side of a already very thin intake port wall , so moving it over 3/8" basically completely blocks the path of the pushrod. This is why they relocated the intake lifters on the low deck blocks.

Mike:cool:

Mike's trying to tell you in the simplest of terms, stick with the 031 heads.
The Indy heads would be WAY too much trouble.

I know this thread is old, but I have a friend who just aquired one of these motors complete if you are still interested....

Im building my own billet heads now so not as intrested as I once was. Very Very small market for these heads!! I have had a couple of sets for probably 10+ years and no buyers. Let us know what happens. Mike

Anyone ever eye the "Sabre" series heads?

This was the last edition of the S2 head (1987/91). Scotty Brayton was running them with his fathers efforts.

They look like they had some serious flow if what I saw at AJ's was an example (Howard Gilbert was at the helm).