Stage 2 engine sound

Swisher Smirf

Hi y'all hope someone can help me out here. My car is making a bad noise at low RPM. Some say its the Kenny cam some say its a bad lifter. Problem is not too many race shops here in CO springs. Ill try and post a video. All the info on the car is under family rides. Drag or back to street thread. Hope someone can help. I'm trying to get the video posted it goes away over 800rpm and smooths out but at idle sounds like something very big is slapping around

Hi y'all hope someone can help me out here. My car is making a bad noise at low RPM. Some say its the Kenny cam some say its a bad lifter. Problem is not too many race shops here in CO springs. Ill try and post a video. All the info on the car is under family rides. Drag or back to street thread. Hope someone can help. I'm trying to get the video posted it goes away over 800rpm and smooths out but at idle sounds like something very big is slapping around

Like Mike said If the fly wheel has a crack or has come lose it will sound like the motor is knocking or the motors blown.

Thank you guys. So I looked and there is an aluminum brace plate just in front of the fly wheel. It does have some scaring on it. Should I have someone watch the wheel as I turn it over?

Thank you guys. So I looked and there is an aluminum brace plate just in front of the fly wheel. It does have some scaring on it. Should I have someone watch the wheel as I turn it over?
If you take the plugs out you can turn it bye yourself under the car from the fly wheel ,Then you can see if it is hitting any were, Make sure you wear gloves.

When you are down there, check the starter to see if the gear is returning after a start. My return arm broke & at low RPM it sounded like detonation but was just the gear hitting the flywheel.

I'm checking today. Sometimes when I give a good crank nothing and then 5 sec later I try it makes that sound like its already running. Could be the starter. Thanks everyone. Let me her in there and check back

It was parked about 5 years ago and was running fine. We had a mechanic in MD do full check then it was shipped to CO. It was running fine in MD. So as far as I know nothing should be blown.

It was parked about 5 years ago and was running fine. We had a mechanic in MD do full check then it was shipped to CO. It was running fine in MD. So as far as I know nothing should be blown.
Who ship the car?if it was running fine in one place and you guys ship the car to another place, Who was driving the car in between?and did they know what they were doing?

A good rep transport company. And I made them ship it non-operable so they didn't start it. The oil and the coolant do not look contaminated.

Sounds like it is firing back into the intake. I'd check the plug wires for proper routing, then if no luck there pull the valve covers & look for valvtrain issues like a broken spring or improper valve lash.

A good rep transport company. And I made them ship it non-operable so they didn't start it. The oil and the coolant do not look contaminated.
That's what you said non-operable , did the car start and drive when you drop it off? Now what they did after you left you don't know, Sorry to say but it sounds like they took it for a joy ride and hurt the motor.

jamesmac said:
Sounds like it is firing back into the intake. I'd check the plug wires for proper routing, then if no luck there pull the valve covers & look for valvtrain issues like a broken spring or improper valve lash.

Firing back. Would it do that at low rpm because the muffler is welded to the hot side of the Turbo and dumps at the bottom of the motor. So it has like a 3 in long exhaust then the muffler. Could it just be a back pressure issue?

Firing back. Would it do that at low rpm because the muffler is welded to the hot side of the Turbo and dumps at the bottom of the motor. So it has like a 3 in long exhaust then the muffler. Could it just be a back pressure issue?

It is hard to tell from the video but it sounds almost like a wastegate could be open at idle. How are being controled ? If there is vacuum on the top I wonder if they could open ?

Allan G.

I don't think so. If it was back pressure it would become worse as RPM was increased.

I found a place in town to check it out taking it to them tomorrow night. Thanks for the help everyone. I will post back with the verdict.