SS AUTO chrome

The Don

Banned
has anyone used the SS Auto chrome headers. I was thinking about doing a traditional SBC conversion and theses headers are affordabel. For thoese that use these headers, what did you do to strenthen them, and to keep them from cracking. Also which ones did you use?

headers

I think most guys just install them on an engine while on a stand and if they dont fit they just cut them and re tig them to where they fit. I heard the flanges are thin as well as the bolt holes dont always line up. There is a thread in general tech about the ebay headers being modified to work.

If you are refering to the twin turbo headers they are very nice for the money. I did not see any issues with them and they are so basic that no stregthening is needed. I purchased a set for my project but sold them. I cut off the 4 bolt flanges and converted them to v-bands in order to fabricate a cross over.

They have very thick flanges and material. The only issue in my case was that the tubing, where it enters the header flange was necked down too much for my heads. The tubing is 1 5/8 , but at the flange it was less than that. The ports on my heads are at least 1 5/8 creating an obstruction.

For a head with a smaller exhaust port they are perfect. One member here "quick79" runs them on his 400ci blow thru, single turbo and has gone 5.90s in the 1/8 with them.

looks like this is great news, this is great! I wonder what set will fit the G-Body cars?

looks like this is great news, this is great! I wonder what set will fit the G-Body cars?

The twin turbo units made for 3rd gen F bodys fit well. The drivers side gets a little tight next to the steering arm but it can be easily fixed.

I would like to run their set up on a 87 and newer chevy TPI motor. Any thoughts? Also I just noticed that they sell a single turbo kit, does any one have any results with this?

I have a single setup 4sale as well as a gen 6 dfi with jumper harness 4 tpi motors and an aeromotive a1000 pump. I was gonna use it but I'm sticking with the 3.8 I will post pics later. Not sure who made them I bought them off the 3rd gen board. they're a nice set.

a few pics.

I'd like to sell it all together, but may separate.......

Attachments

• 000_0270.jpg
    000_0270.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 000_0271.jpg
    000_0271.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 000_0269.jpg
    000_0269.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 000_0274.jpg
    000_0274.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 346
  • DFI for TPI.JPG
    DFI for TPI.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 347
The twin turbo units made for 3rd gen F bodys fit well. The drivers side gets a little tight next to the steering arm but it can be easily fixed.

I have a set that I put on a TT Vega. They were not from SS Chrome but looked identicle. I thought the quality was pretty good. The car never ran long with them before I sold it so I can't really say how they would stand up after a year or so.
I have heard both good and bad about them.

still looking for info on the single turbo kit in a g-body. After looking at the tpi accessory set up, it looks like the a/c compressor and the turbo manifold would get in the way of each other.

I did not know you wanted to run all accessories with the V8 swap. I think you are stuck building your own headers.:( I do not think there is anything readily available.