Spraying alky after the turbo?

granatl

TRCM Author
Just a little out-of-the box thinking today, but what would happen if we sprayed a fine mist of alky in the exhaust stream? Would it create an area of low pressure and pull the heated air through the turbo faster? (Faster spool-up?)

There was a recent article about electrical turbines (generators) where steam passes through the turbine. Some researcher found that polarizing one of the plates on the exhaust side of the turbine pulled the water droplets through faster increasing the turbine efficiency.

I'm no alky expert but even if you were to try that I don't think it would make more power. Maybe faster spool? Definitely wouldn't want to be the test mule on that one...

They were "polarizing" the diaphragm which made the water vapor spread out more evenly. This created a more even pressure across the blades resulting in increased efficiency but only my a couple of tenths of a percent. Which in the turbine industry is like printing money. I work at a turbine shop in Houston so we see all the latest ideas...... Even the ones that fail. Along the lines of what you are thinking if you added alky and lit it off it would help spool at the cost of increased back pressure, but if you had it set up to full flow at low boost and shut off at mid boost it could help. Give it a try and report back on your results

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

1280px-J58_AfterburnerT.jpeg

When that water converts to steam it's 1800 times bigger. I can't imagine the turbo being able to spin up easier with that kind of expansion going on at the 'low pressure' side.

Heck - I definitely have lower standards.

I'm just happy if I have boost.

Attachments

• THINK INSIDE THE BOX.jpg
    THINK INSIDE THE BOX.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 125
You could always just get a different turbo and bypass all that "fire in the hole" stuff.

Or why not just add a flux capacitor?
If you do - I need a ride back into the future so I can take care of a few things that have been on my mind for quite some time.
I have names.

They were "polarizing" the diaphragm which made the water vapor spread out more evenly. This created a more even pressure across the blades resulting in increased efficiency but only my a couple of tenths of a percent. Which in the turbine industry is like printing money. I work at a turbine shop in Houston so we see all the latest ideas...... Even the ones that fail. Along the lines of what you are thinking if you added alky and lit it off it would help spool at the cost of increased back pressure, but if you had it set up to full flow at low boost and shut off at mid boost it could help. Give it a try and report back on your results

You actually made me think of something from Donnie Wang. He's using an alky engine with nitrous and is spraying a large about of nitrous to spool the turbo for just a very small amount of time. The extra nitrous ignites in the exhaust and spools the turbo, but it's a limited time and amount.;)

Charlie, I remember that. Pretty cool stuff.

You actually made me think of something from Donnie Wang. He's using an alky engine with nitrous and is spraying a large about of nitrous to spool the turbo for just a very small amount of time. The extra nitrous ignites in the exhaust and spools the turbo, but it's a limited time and amount.;)

You can also retard the timing and light the manifolds up to spool an improperly sized turbo. Probably not the effect of filling up the headers with NNAAAAWWWWWSSSSS though.

N2o is not flammable.
That's what made that scene in fast & furious 1 and 4 pretty funny. Nawssss!

You can also retard the timing and light the manifolds up to spool an improperly sized turbo. Probably not the effect of filling up the headers with NNAAAAWWWWWSSSSS though.

Is that how some of the big turbo drag cars get them to spool, pull timing and add fuel? Uot sare if it's quite the same thing.

I think Saab does it by default on their turbo cars from the factory. Not 100% positive on that one though. It's the same as when the advance fails on an old carb/mechanical distributor car. Power and gas mileage goes to crap and the exhaust manifolds glow orange.

but, yes, if you retard the ignition it will make the headers glow, kill power (fine for staging) and put a buttload of heat into the headers. You're basically blowing fire out of the engine instead of just exhaust pulses. Kinda like an afterburner.

I believe Bob Baily's chips does that as an option. "Launch Assist" works when TPS is 85% or more and VSS is < 5mph. Going by the description, that sounds like what Bob is doing.