Spray Test?

Paul Clark

Still chasing knock.
Is there a test for alky spray at boost?
The test button works great.
Obvious answer is to see if the alky level goes down after awhile, but I can't and don't want to stay under boost long enough.
If you disconnect the hose to the up pipe and brake torque the car until boost, should it spray?
Thanks

Well first thing is to see if the car can run low boost without knock. Turn alky off.. drop boost.. see if it runs cleamly..

You need a baseline without knock. Period.

Next, switch the alky on.. look at your power injection bulb and its intensity.. if it gets brighter as the boost is increasing.. then more signal is being sent to the pump.

Next.. look at your O2's.. if you go WOT.. they should jump into the 800's.. mid 800's hopefully.. if so you have sufficient fueling.

You can "T" in a pressure guage into the main line going to the nozzle.. to truly test the system, but I have yet to see it be a system problem if the above tests are passed.

Back to the baseline, put good gas(100+ octane) and see if the car runs cleanly at higher boost.

A few months ago had a customer with a similar issue.. ended up being the plastic tube leading to the 3 bar MAP was split underneath.. as the boost went up.. it bled air out of it. 20 year old cars with 20 year old hoses/plastic lines...

All else fails.. make some time and call me during the week.. mornings are always best.. hard to FIX cars over a keyboard sometimes ;)