Speedo cable

turbobooster

I'm in the process of checking out my upper and lower speedo cable to see which one is bad if its bad .... If I do finding a bad cable where are u guys buying the replacement speedo cable from ? Part number? And what kinda of grease are u guys using to lube the new cable up ? Thanx

I got a one piece cable from Amazon and installed it out of the box.

My speedo needle still looks funny not jumping and I keep forgetting my cruise control will work now. LOL

Thanx for the link and responses so do these new cables out of the box already come lubed and can just b installed. ?

I have a 2 piece cable that's sticking pretty bad at low speeds. How hard is it to replace with the one piece cable?

The only hard part is taking the dash apart. difficulty is the same for 1 piece or 2 piece. I spent more time cleaning everything while I had it out and apart than I did doing the actual cable swap.

Now if you're trying to replace 1/2 of a two piece cable on the other hand, you could be looking at a nightmare. After 20+ years or exposure some of them just flat out don't want to come apart.

I'm in the process of checking out my upper and lower speedo cable to see which one is bad if its bad .... If I do finding a bad cable where are u guys buying the replacement speedo cable from ? Part number? And what kinda of grease are u guys using to lube the new cable up ? Thanx

You might get lucky and the lower cable is bad then you wont have to take the speedo out. Anyways, I disconnected the two cables by the power master put a drill on the short cable and spun it with the drill... If your speedo works then you know the upper is not the problem. Don't remember if it was clockwise or counter clockwise so try both ways... For the long one just disconnect it from the transmission and do the same... You will need a buddy to help you and see if the cables spin too.

ACDelco 88959481

Thats the part number for the AC Delco one piece cable... I believe it was already greased when I got it...

I'm trying to unscrew my cable where the 2seperate and it's kinda putting up fight I know it can b from it being original and never tampered with but I also noticed small marks on thread is it reverse threaded? I'd hate to mess it up by turning the wrong way

I'm trying to unscrew my cable where the 2seperate and it's kinda putting up fight I know it can b from it being original and never tampered with but I also noticed small marks on thread is it reverse threaded? I'd hate to mess it up by turning the wrong way
I sprayed mine with WD-40 and still had to use a wrench and channel locks.

I'm not really sure but I think so. Once you 'break' it loose, it spins off pretty easy.

I ran a coat hangar from the top, down behind the speedo and through the firewall and taped it to the new cable to pull it back up. I also used a razor blade to cut a slit halfway through the speedo grommet so it could easily be completely removed and reinstalled for replacing the cable and running wires through the firewall. I don't believe the one piece cable would fit through the speedo cable grommet without ripping it. By the way my upper cable was broken. The two peice was used originally because of the assembly line.

Ok so I finally broke it loose and unscrewed it I tested the upper and lower cable they both spin freely and the needle moves fine so then I proceeded to remove the bullet and check the gear it's green and it looks fine to me..... Checked the orange gear inside the tranny just kinda felt it with my finger and it felt fine .... I put everything back together took it for. A spin and still no mph reading the needle would bounce to 25-35 when taking off from a stop but then just goes back and sits on 0 mph I'm not sure what the problem is anymore? Need some other ideas ? Should I just replace the cable ?

Maybe the speedometer itself? Speedo has a magnet in it that controls the movement of the needle... I would try another cluster before swapping out the cable just to be sure.. maybe someone has a spare near you?