Speed Density opinions?

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm taking a serious look at using a TurboTweak SD chip, Powerlogger, and wideband 02 to tune my Buick, but I'd like some real-world feedback by people who have used it. I hear complaints that its too complicated to use, the tune is lost when the battery or ECM is unplugged, and the chance of having any reliable drivability and fuel mileage with a SD setup is next to nothing.

I have some tuning knowledge and patience, as well as friends who are willing to assist. But I don't want to end up buying $400 worth of electronic gizmos to tune my car and then have it be next to impossible to keep running well.

This is by no means a daily driver either, it would see 8-10 trips to drag strip per year, and maybe 2500 miles of weekend cruising or day trips within a 150 mi radius.

I guess I'm drawn to it for the adjustability and it seems silly to use a MAF system on a car with no EGR or emissions items in place. Its my understanding that a speed density setup allows for a more accurate A/F ratio and seems to be easier to make small adjustments.

Thoughts?

I would start off with a 6.0 chip and get used to tuning with a wideband. I use the SD and the 6.0 helped me sharpen my skills. I use the Powerlogger and AEM wideband.

I guess I should have stated that I currently have no translator or maf, and need a new chip regardless as I upgraded to larger injectors. I'd rather not buy a translator/maf setup just to graduate to the SD setup in the next year or so.

Would a gen II translator, wideband, and powerlogger be an alternative?

I guess I should have stated that I currently have no translator or maf, and need a new chip regardless as I upgraded to larger injectors. I'd rather not buy a translator/maf setup just to graduate to the SD setup in the next year or so.

Would a gen II translator, wideband, and powerlogger be an alternative?

Gen II translator requires a MAF, no SD mode.

Where did you hear "limited drivability and plenty of headaches"? I have the SD setup and it runs great. Have no drivability issues or headaches. Just need to read the forums on Erics website and everything here. Turn up the boost slowly as you tune and you should be fine. You can also post your powerlogger files and get help if needed.

Using the SD chip, the car will run pretty good out of the box. It does work the same way as the 6.0 chip as it tries to correct to the a/f you lock in. It ignores the factory o2 sensor so your in open loop idle, so it runs a bit richer but no big deal, if your not concerned about wasting a bit of fuel. I tested a SDchip and it had real good throttle response felt really good, but it generally runs rich @idle compared to using a maf. Other than that its really a neat chip no its not a tuning nightmare. The power logger will show you the correction in % and then you can start tweaking in the numbers a bit at time. Plus you don;t have to spend for a translator or maf, real cost savings. Once you have all the numbers the way you want them. Tell Eric and he can send you a chip with the new defaults in case you lose power the numbers willl be the way you tuned it before.

Where did you hear "limited drivability and plenty of headaches"? I have the SD setup and it runs great. Have no drivability issues or headaches. Just need to read the forums on Erics website and everything here. Turn up the boost slowly as you tune and you should be fine. You can also post your powerlogger files and get help if needed.

+1 Even the idle/low fuel can be set for a/f ratio correction.
Eric does not recommend this chip if you have no experience tuning your car (and you don't wish to learn). This chip is more geared for the person that loves to tweak, his/her tune, there are about 20 parameters that are adjustable. I've had my chip for over a yr and still adjust this or that a hair, the more I use it the more I like it. And the more I learn, jump over to the SD section of his website forum. TurboTweak Forum - The Front Page

Chuck

Ive been trying the SD chip and I am impressed with it so far the throttle response it amazing. Its the closest thing you can get to a fast system at low cost. You will have to spend timing tuning it though. Now its not as detailed as a fast system but it will get the job done.

another choice for SD is to get a trans pro and a wide band.i just took my trans pro out am going to try TT SD chip.i think looks much easier to tune but time will tell.

Yes it is a lot simpler and the power logger is something you need anyway.

SD chip is awesome. Best drivability I've had in years. Not sure what Norbs is talking about it running rich. It's capable of closed loop at idle, part throttle, and WOT. I target 12.8 @ idle, 14.5 while driving around at part throttle, and 10.8 at WOT. Works great!

I also really like my SD chip. It is geared more for an experienced tuner though....

I think the issue with losing settings when unplugged has been remedied with recent releases.

The throttle response is perfect. Everything else is is great too....

We need to develop a which chip/system is for you flow chart. :)
Stop laughing, Im serious and will start working on it in my free time.:D

Just got back from BPG Nat's with a 22.7 mpg on the SD chip from TT. :smile: I honestly don't think I ever got that high, mpg on a tank before.

Chuck