speaking of sleds...

starjet

has anyone seen the new Arctic Cat Turbo 660? It is an automotive based 4 stroke 660cc intercooled turbo plant. Stock boost is set at 21psi(whoa) and will run on 87 octane at that boost level. it has 110 horsepower and is about the equivilent to a 600 2 stroke machine. The dealer told me someone had one, turned up the boost to 35psi and made 140 horses. Anyone played with one??

haven't played with one, but i was told that the motor came from isuzu's micro car division. pretty wierd, i wonder why they didn't use a sport bike motor like yamaha did? but anyhow, it's turbo so it's cool.

george

the motor is a suzuki motor that came out of a japanese micro car. the naturally aspired 4 stroke sled was introduced a few years ago, but at 50 horsepower the big complaint was that it was too slow. the turbo version this year is a big improvement at 110 horses. i did get to ride one late last spring at a dealer on a late few inches of snow. it was strange to hear a sled sound like a car. i couldn't hear much turbo sound like my gn, but the familiar multiplying elastic power as boost builds feeling was there, making wide open blasts fun. it was interesting, but you wont see me trading in my 800 two stroke for one. i am curious to see what will become of performance with the plant.

Aside from it being nice to see them try out different things, the only benifit would be better MPG and the smell of the 2 stroke smoke off your clothes. As far as the Yamaha 4 stroke, it is a heavy piece and is a prime example of Yamaha being behind the bunch. They are not even completing in snow cross. Competition right now is at lighweight machines with the ability to deal with the bumps better, not what you want with a heavy engine up front.

Cat is rumored to be working on a Hyabusa motor right now, supposed to be hitting the marker in 05 from what the rumors are, but who knows.

Originally posted by Ted A.
Aside from it being nice to see them try out different things, the only benifit would be better MPG and the smell of the 2 stroke smoke off your clothes.

I like the smell of 2 stroke on my clothes:D
I also like the sound of a 2 stroke, sledding just wouldn't
seem the same without the bumpitybumbumbumdigdigdigdig

You are telling me! I Love 2 strokes! I have a ZR 800 twin I wouldn't trade for any sled.