Spanked a twin-turbo AWD 911 on the big end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raven - dont forget that these "aerodynamically disadvantaged" cars rounded the banks of Daytona at over 180 MPH in NASCAR :eek:.

I have a 1990 Turbo Grand Prix (bone stock) that pegs the 120 speed limiter without a problem and it runs 15.2@90 mph in the 1/4.:confused:

And?

You've still not proven anything IMO. Sure, the NASCAR boys did what they did, but they didn't do it in cars that weighed as much as yours does, they didn't do it on stock suspension, and they certainly didn't do it with stock gearing in the tranny/rear end.

For you to have supposedly blown away an AWD Turbo Porsche by the numbers you claim, you need way more HP than the mods you've listed would have given you. Period. Facts are facts and the laws of horsepower/aerodynamics/physics can not be changed.

A Porsche 911 AWD has about as much horsepower STOCK as your car does - and it's aerodynamic advantage over the G-bodies is another free "horsepower" add-on.

And, yes - I've driven 11 second cars including TR's and even faster ones. I know what these cars are capable of, even the Porsche.

You wrote a good story.

ha ha ha

what a story! :p
Perhaps it could've been somewhat believable if the race were "close"...... but to say "this time I hold the gas down streching it out to at least a 7 car lead in fourth gear", and be refering to a 911TT AWD, is ludicrous. Highway speeds are what those cars live for. And the Boxster kill is no comparison to this story. At least it is feasable. Perhaps Turbosix did kill this Porsche, but not in the way described. ***Maybe it was a 944 from a 5mph punch?..... ;) ***
I drive a mid 11sec street car everyday I walk out to the garage. No race gas and no slicks. So you don't need to sell me on the power the TR's have at this level. I sure as hell wouldn't bother with a real 911 TT AWD on the highway. Now, from a stoplight..... that could be fun! :D

I'd say the referance to the 944 is a laugh.. back in the day (haha) 1987 that is I had a brand new stock T, and I waxed a 944 turbo at highway speeds from about 60 like he was parked.. I'd guess this kill is possible I am not proud but I did get a ticket a few years ago in VA from a cop driving a new fwd monte, I was playin with a towel racked ricer. Yes this is going somewhere. The officer said he clocked me at 95 and I had "accelerating briskly away numerous times" I'm sure that car was capable of an easy 140, and no it wasnt stock, and it was lowered with 16's.. so I say 150 is feasable.. ok this is gettin off topic.. :cool:

Why does everyone argue about aerodynamics? They are never the same, and vary so freaking much you can never figure them into the equation. There may be times and situations where a TR has an aerodynamic advantage over a porche, depending on air speed and direction, and density.

We are NOT scientists, so why try to speak like we are?:)

And for the record, I don't believe this story either. Maybe a little creative memory is involved here. I would have believed 1 car length...............

You guys are incredible.

This reminds me of the Mustang boards with everyone calling everyone else a liar.Turbosix6 posted about his kill and you guys have to put him down. Its not like he was posting that he has the fastest car, but an 11 second G body does have the ability to smack down the almighty $100G + 911 twin turbo. I also believe these cars are most certainly capable of 150+ mph top speeds. The aerodynamics issue is total b.s. If you have a properly set up suspension, it is definitely not a problem.
Heck, 10 years ago I had a 78 Malibu that ran high 12's with a 3.42 gear that would do 150+ and that car was more like a brick that the Regals are. Plus, I only had a 12 second car with a 350 and a 4 speed and it had the power to do those kinds of speeds. Why wouldnt a forced inducted Buick V6??
I think you guys should be happy that one of your fellow Buick enthusiasts smacked a 911 twin turbo. That is something to be proud of.

Re: You guys are incredible.

Originally posted by GNVAIR

I think you guys should be happy that one of your fellow Buick enthusiasts smacked a 911 twin turbo. That is something to be proud of.

This is very true. I wish I could read about 911TT kills from-an-80mph-roll by my fellow F-body owners on our boards. They are very, very, very, seldom occurring in the LS1 world. It would take an extremely heavily modded LS1 to beat a 911TT from a roll like that. Nice to see GM muscle smack down the 911...

Raven - if you dont believe the kill you could at least contribute the Porsche loss to an inexperienced driver, which I doubt because he was flying.

To say that a buick T, which runs 11's, with O/D trans and stock gears cant do 150+mph is a joke - maybee you should put a set of 16" GTA rims and bilstien shocks on your a car because mine is very stable at high speed.

:cool:

Not convinced.

There is absolutely no way it happened - that you waxed a TT AWD Porsche by several car lengths from an 80 mph roll and then ran 150+ mph on the big end - unless the guy wasn't even racing you. Creative license or whatever, the reality of this story proves otherwise.

Oh sure, you might get to 150 mph eventually, but an AWD TT Porsche will be sitting there waiting on you - with your Bilstiens and 16" rims or not.

Tell you what - how about you tell us more about your car? Got any pics? Timeslips you can post?

I agree with Raven
Getting to 150 in a TR is of course possible.

Getting there from 80 before a TT porsche is a whole nother thing.
Not saying it can't be done, but jesus, to do it by 7 car lengths is a big order.

Lets see some mods:D

Jezz

Ok guys think about this: so their doing 80 or so, im assuming turbo6 was in third, if they both punched it he could easily take third to 120 mph or so(i have in highway races before). If him and the porsche took off at the same time, he could have probably pulled 2-4 cars even if the porsche was driven semi-to-its potential. By the time he hits overdrive why would he not be atleast 2-3 cars out, which when looking in the rear view looks a lot longer than three cars. So maybe the car lengths are a little off, but as for doubting the kill, if the car runs mid 11's at 116, i say this could happen. Hell, im waiting for the day i get a shot at a 911 turbo car, ANYWHERE(stop or roll) and my car runs right around the times turbo6's does. I think if at all this is a kill, but maybe by not such a large margin. Ive had my car up to 140++during a race with an ls1, which also pull hard at the top, and i had him by 3-4 cars when i hit overdrive and stayed there and that was when my car had just bolt ons, and ran maybe high 12's on pump fuel. :eek:

I say this is a kill, and i can't wait to post a kill on a 911 when i get my shot.;)

Shoebox

You must own a 911 Raven - give it a rest - It got spanked. Your car must be a sled or something because its obvious you have no faith in the mighty 6. I know this doesnt matter to you, but the difference between an 11.5 car and a 12.20 car is 7 car lenghts. The best I can tell you is to find a guy willing to race his 911 TT in NY and I will be happy to recreate the events for you. LOL

I like this part from your post:

"Oh sure, you might get to 150 mph eventually, but an AWD TT Porsche will be sitting there waiting on you - with your Bilstiens and 16" rims or not."

Yea, tell that to the guy in the Porsche - LOL - your killing me with laughter....;)

some facts...

Looked this up at:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/46926/page001.html

2002 911 Carrera 4 AWD Turbo

Stock Setup:

3.6L 6-cylinder, 415hp@6000 rpm, 415 lb/ft @ 2700, redline at 6750rpm

MSRP $83200, GT2 Option, add another $40k

0-60 in 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile in 12.7 @ 111mph

Its my belief that a stock non-ported 3.8 Turbo Buick motor doesn't have the breathing capabilities at 100+mph to overtake a Porsche of this caliber.

also found another account at:

http://www.supercarstats.com/car/exotic-stats/911t.shtml

A '00 Turbo 911, 12.4 @ 115.6mph

Obviously you folks have never been in a 10 or 11 second Buick.
It is entirely possible to beat the Porsche so get over it!
I have a friend with a TE45 and the 3rd gear pull regardless if you drop from 4th to 3rd or just an upshift from 2nd to 3rd will rip your head off.
Heck, I have a friend with a 455 powered 69 Firebird with 2.56 gears that slapped a 911 turbo on the highway. Are you upset because a $10k car beat a $100k+ car? Are you upset because you own a Porsche or are a Porsche enthusiast?
You should all get off your high horses. The post was from a fellow Buick guy that wanted to tell of everyone of his kill. It was not like a Porsche owner came on here to brag. Its funny how all of you get insulted :rolleyes:

Guys were not talking about Eddie Bello's turbo Porsche here... You guys make it sound like those cars are unbeatable or something and that's not the case... IMHO, a mid 11 second TR with trap speeds of 116mph could easily take a 911 AWD TT Porsche... Do u guys honestly think u need a fully built 10 or 9 second TR just to beat a TT Porsche, even if it's form a roll?:confused: If so I suggest u get your head out of your ass and stop bench racing with all your aerodynamic BS talk... Just because our cars look like BRICKS doesn't mean they are slow cars that aren't capable of doing more than 120mph!!! BTW, Raven are u sure u own a GN, cause you're starting to sound like a stuck up Porsche owner?:eek:

Whatever dudes.

I drive a 1978 chrysler newport everyday so i can store my buick, I'm not rich and will probably never own anything resembling a porsche.

Okay, the guy driving the buick waxed the porsche hands down, no doubt, we rule they drool.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.:rolleyes:

I researched the TT911 for an article I wrote for a Mopar news letter back in '96. The 96 TT 911 could run low 12's in the 1/4 with a monster launch (that no porsche driver would ever do to his $100K car), but above 60 mph a '96 Viper GTS would lay the smack down on one. To 0 to 130, a '96 Viper GTS was more than 10 seconds quicker than a TT 911 (you can see this in the 111-112 mph trap speed of the TT 911 vs. 118 for the GTS) in roadtests by the same people in the same magazine (car and driver). Who hasn't seen videos of people beating Viper GTS's?

Believe it on not, a '96 TT 911 is not an "all conquerring top end machine" but is set-up more for 0-100 bursts of speed. With heat soaked intercoolers and a less than stellar driver, I can see how a tuned TR could lay the smacketh down on one.

Get real...

Ok, enough's enough.

Do I own a Turbo Porsche? No - but I would like to have one, just like I would also like to have a Viper GTS, a ZO6, a 2002 SS, a Cobra and many more. But unlike a lot of people, I've driven the Turbo Porsche - and they ARE more than you think - way more. Anyone who thinks "waxing" one on the top end is a piece of cake - uh, sure. :rolleyes: ANY car can be beat, but not like this "story"... no way.

Is a TT AWD Porsche unbeatable? Not at all - but this guy did NOT kill one - hell, I don't think he even owns a TR.

Have I ever driven an 11 second TR? Jeez... my son HAS one and I've driven it plenty - and we've got the slips to PROVE it. I've also driven certified 10 second rides so you can forget that angle. Unlike many here, I'm not bench racing. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Do I own a GN? Absolutely and it's a stupid question to even ask. I've got the pics and timeslips to prove it. If you walk out to my garage, you'll SEE two '87 GNs - one is a 13.0 second ride, the other a solid mid/low 11 second one.

Why do I care about this supposed kill? Because it's bogus and I doubt if this guy even owns a TR. He's a wannabe and he knows it and he knows that I know it. And when unbelievable stories like this are presented as FACT and not fiction, it looks ridiculous.

And for 86Brick - if there's ANYONE who has his head up his ass, it's you when it comes to the facts. Aerodynamics have a HUGE effect on cars at speed, especially above 120 mph. You can deny it if you like - just because you're not aware of how they actually work doesn't mean it's not true.

Now read this paragraph closely, ok? Sure, it is POSSIBLE for a mid 11 second TR to spank a Porsche - but only if the Porsche driver has HIS head in his ass and tried to run in top gear only. Hell, the Turbo Porsche will top over 100 mph IN THIRD GEAR alone. And, the TR would HAVE to be in race trim, in 100% shape, race gas, etc., which I highly doubt this guy was even set up with. Frankly, I don't believe he even knows how to tune a TR to get there...

Piss and moan all you want; bench race all you want; but I'll never believe this kill, nor would anyone else who has ever REALLY seen these cars run. A good shift in a 11 second TR means nothing - they have to breathe and they have to have the balls to pull and pull hard in 4th gear. A 11 second TR doesn't have that - period. The Porche does.

So give it a rest yourselves, those who think doubting this guys fantasy is wrong. Very few people here will actually admit that a TR is beatable - which is WAY worse than the alleged attitude of a "Porsche" owner. And worse yet are the gullible who will believe anything just because someone else says/writes it.

Sheesh... I'm done with this one. Believe what you want but this "kill" never happened.

Oh - the "retarded" comment is not even remotely funny.

" Hell, the Turbo Porsche will top over 100 mph IN THIRD GEAR alone."

So will a buick..

"And, the TR would HAVE to be in race trim, in 100% shape, race gas, etc., which I highly doubt this guy was even set up with. Frankly, I don't believe he even knows how to tune a TR to get there... "

Do you know this guy, and have some type of beef with him, cause you are seriously calling BS on everything from him owning a car, the kill, and even knowing how to tune a TR, which isn't easy but not rocket science with some knowledge of fuel/air ratio and a good scan tool. There has to be more to the story for you to rag on this guy that bad over a kill that is semi-believeable.

"A good shift in a 11 second TR means nothing - they have to breathe and they have to have the balls to pull and pull hard in 4th gear. A 11 second TR doesn't have that - period"

Have you ever raced your car in 1/4 mile without shifing it at all, and then the following pass, shifted from second to third, and stretch out the shift point a little more. I have and the car picked up two tenths and two mph, so a good shift helps. :p So if turbo6 took it up to say 120-125 in third(you can do that) and then blasted into fourth, say three cars ahead, if the porsche has an equal amount of power to say a mid 11's second TR, but was driven poorly, i think the porsche would be SLOW to pull if any, even in the long, slow overdrive gear of the TR's

Ok, now for my final take on this kill, its a kill if the TR has the modd's turbo6 listed and runs those times. Chances are the porsche wasn't driven to its full potential but, u don't ask them what gear their in when u race them do you? I don't. If they nail it, i will to and if they don't know what gear they should be in, well thats not my problem, and would hope they don't make that excuse after they get walked. Although what gear your in does make a difference, if one car is faster then another, gearing will only play a role from the initial punch, where torque shows, and then as the race stretches out a little, horsepower takes over. I don't disagree with Ravens facts at all, just think the kill is fair more believable then you make it seem Raven, and ya i drive a 11 second TR too and know that fourth gear isn't that impressive although, if you have a high stall 9 inch its not that bad(my car has a 12-2800, so its a slug in fourth, unless a stretch third to really get her moving.)

I think this happened, maybe not to the extent described, but 2-3 cars to 140 ++ is possible, with over 20 psi and good fuel or alky.:cool:

Shoebox

Status
Not open for further replies.