Sound System advice needed

Capacitors are a waste IMO. Buy a good battery with a higher CCA rating than stock and a good recharge rate.
2ga for sure.
Wire...buy good quality hi strand copper...but it doesn't have to be some certain brand. Hooker Audio is nice and it's cheap btw.
sub enclosure...irregular (non-square) enclosures will 99% of the time sound better than rectangle/cubicle ones.
Replace the stock head unit.
I think I hit the high points...

Irregular boxes can work just fine, but some woofers like to have some "breathing room" behind them to work best or for pole piece venting, so don't go too shallow behing the woofer. PVC is simple to use as port material and keeps the port volume consistent. I've found that 3" or 4" works best. Too big or too small of a port will be noisey. Myself or possibly one of the other guys here has the software to model the sub to help you determine what your port needs to be. Don't forget to subtract out your port volume from the box volume.

Fine stranded copper wire, check. No contest, no caps needed for "points", just lots of battery and a good alt, check. Get an aftermarket head unit, check. Even non-audio folks can hear the difference.

John

The sub box behind the spare tire well is 10" deep, 26" Wide and 15 inches high. I can make a port 1.25" wide, 10" high by the tail light with an internal measurement of 24.75 inches total. With the sub there, the 2 amps, power and ground distribution, crossovers, and a cap fit nicely in a box measuring
42" wide x 13" high x 6" deep.

If I put the sub on the upper deck above the axle, the box is
36" wide x 13" high X 11" Top depth and 14" bottom depth. The box can e vented and with the volume of the port and displacement of the sub, I got a rough number of 1.25 cu ft for an inside volume of the ported box. The sub is in the middle facing rearward, one amp on each side (Amps are 14" x 9.5")
The ground distribution is in the center of the box behind the front cover, and the power comes in from the center on back side of the box. Behind each amp, I was planning on dropping the height of the box to 9" od and placing the fuse link for each amp, cap, and crossovers for each side above the amps on the top of the box. This should maintain an overall height of 13"
If I can get this to fit all in one assembly, it gives me more trunk room. The sub enclosure may have to be increased slightly.

Door enclosures for the VR 6.5 components are going to fit nicely. I found a Rockford 3SIXTY1 today. Picked it up for 150. It should do what I need.

Any updates on this setup? Photos of the JL 6.5 in the doors? Let us know how it sounds....I want a very similar setup!

do u use a ipod or other mp3? if u do then get a 360.2 rockford and use 1 input for the stock radio and the 2 input for the "ipod" that way u still get the stealth look with better sound

4 gauge would be fine

and in would fire the sub forward isolating the enclousre from the back of the car and it will slam and will not vibrate!! i have this setup and it pounds

good luck either way

The sub box behind the spare tire well is 10" deep, 26" Wide and 15 inches high. I can make a port 1.25" wide, 10" high by the tail light with an internal measurement of 24.75 inches total.

If I put the sub on the upper deck above the axle, the box is
36" wide x 13" high X 11" Top depth and 14" bottom depth. The box can e vented and with the volume of the port and displacement of the sub, I got a rough number of 1.25 cu ft for an inside volume of the ported box. The sub is in the middle facing rearward, one amp on each side (Amps are 14" x 9.5")
The ground distribution is in the center of the box behind the front cover, and the power comes in from the center on back side of the box. Behind each amp, I was planning on dropping the height of the box to 9" od and placing the fuse link for each amp, cap, and crossovers for each side above the amps on the top of the box. This should maintain an overall height of 13"
If I can get this to fit all in one assembly, it gives me more trunk room. The sub enclosure may have to be increased slightly.

Door enclosures for the VR 6.5 components are going to fit nicely. I found a Rockford 3SIXTY1 today. Picked it up for 150. It should do what I need.

For the sub behind the spare if it is square....1.25x8.5 port 13" long tunes it @ 32 and theres 1.5cuft. Thats putting the port like this attatch pic,minus the L.

Attachments

• toysfortotsbox 001.jpg
    toysfortotsbox 001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 752
Install update

Hello all,
i have a few pictures of the install to date. I ended up with a whole lot more custom than I thought. I ended up putting the sub and amp rack on the upper deck, a small spot for necessary tools where the spare was, and left the hole in the floor for the fuel cell addition (because it is necessary:D )

I hope the pictures come in.

Attachments

• GN Trunk 005.jpg
    GN Trunk 005.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 797
  • GN Trunk 010.jpg
    GN Trunk 010.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 750
  • GN Trunk 007.jpg
    GN Trunk 007.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 780
Damn, that doesn't look bad. Alot of guys talk about putting a system in there acr and it never comes out as good as yours or ever amounts to anything but you did good. I second the KnuKonceptz stuff. It is good stuff at a fair price as I see you have it too.
Now replace the head unit with one that has at least 2 volt preamps, or better yet get one with 8 volts.
McIntosh makes a head unit that looks perfect in place on these cars. Two problems; 1)It's expensive, used for $600+ on ebay and 2) no fast forward on cds. But the sound is awesome!

Thanks.

I will send pictures of the door panels when I get them made. Currently, I make "quickies" and they did not look right but due to time, they are good enough for a week or so.

I am setting up the Rockford 3sixty1 tonight, but currently it is only running the RH door and rear. I think it is summing the signal, and will check the wiring tonight.

The clearance of that box is tight with the Second Skin, and trunk carpet on the floor and all sides of the box. The entire power, cap and sub box comes out in one shot by removing 3 screws and 2 straps to restore the full upper section of the trunk (minus the stereo).

I built the risers in the floor to stop the T Tops from sliding around. Covers are planned for the spare tire hole in the floor and the rear crossover panel. Beside the crossovers, there is a storage area that fits a race suit perfectly and on the side by the cap, the toolbox is locked by a small strap. It took a little custom saw work, but it will work well for me.

There is still enough room in the trunk for 2 golf bags, or 2 rims with slicks mounted!!

More updates to come.

4 awg is plenty for the jl audio slash series amps...

those in my opinion r the best out right now.

i used to have a 1000/1 with a 13.5 w7 and i used 4 awg with two batteries hooked up to the 1000/1...

great build you have going there... id love to hear it!

Looks awesome. I'd like to eventually fiberglass my 12" sub into the left side of the trunk. I actually meant to order a 10" sub originally but aparently I'm pretty stupid and fail at life.

It is pretty good so far. I mocked up some cheesy door panels just to drive it, and will be fabricating new ones tonight. I will take some pictures and post them up here. I had some issues getting the 3sixty to work properly and the sub level is still a little high, but is sounds good.

I need to configure the IPod interface tonight as well. The pictures I posted, were a semi completed state. There is a panel that fills in the tire hole, as well as covers the tool area and capacitor. The blocks on the floor hold the T-Tops perfectly. Should be able to do 130 with the roofs off and tunes up. (I will add girls as needed!!!):D

Update on the system

Here are a couple of pictures of the trunk completed. I have shown the T-Tops in the bags in one of the pictures. Both T-Tops fit there snugly. The amps are installed and it sounds good. I have some more tuning to do with the 3Sixty, but its getting close.

Also, included a picture of the quickie door panels. I did these just to go for a drive. I have a new plan, and will have pics up in a couple of days. Too bad work gets in the way.

Attachments

• The mill.jpg
    The mill.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Truck with T Tops.jpg
    Truck with T Tops.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Door Panel 1.jpg
    Door Panel 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Door Panel 2.jpg
    Door Panel 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 179
  • GN Trunk 028.jpg
    GN Trunk 028.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 171
Door Speaker Update

Here are a few pictures of the new door boxes. The JL 6.5" woofer will face slightly upward, and the tweeter is on the edge of the panel facing up in the same plane as the power lock switch. The box will be covered in black and then installed. When I get them on the doors, I'll send more pics.

Attachments

• GN Door Speakers 002.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 002.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 161
  • GN Door Speakers 004.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 162
  • GN Door Speakers 005.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 189
Final Door Speaker Installations

Here are the picutres of the door speakers installed. Also, a shot of the dash and head unit. I have one guage to install. EGT will go on the left of the shifter.

Attachments

• GN Door Speakers 016.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 016.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 151
  • GN Door Speakers 010.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 010.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 173
  • GN Door Speakers 013.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 013.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 166
A couple more pictures

Here is another shot of the driver door panel. Also a better shot of the head unit. The head unit fits perfectly and was easy to tune with the 3Sixty. I run the 3Sixty control inside the console along with the IPod and charging system.

Attachments

• GN Door Speakers 018.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 018.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 147
  • GN Door Speakers 014.jpg
    GN Door Speakers 014.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 161
Just an idea..........put gray carpet on top of the pods to match where the black door carpet transitions to the grey door panel. It should make it blend better.