Sonic Testing A Sleeved Block

ek02

Does anyone know what effect a cylinder sleeve has on sonic testing a cast iron block? The sleeved cylinder tests thinner than the rest.

I would think the material the sleeve is made of isn't as dense as the cast iron the block is made of.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

A sonic tester can only be accurate to the first gap. A sonic tester is measuring the sleeve thickness. Hopefully you used a Darton sleeve and not a standard iron sleeve in a high power engine.
Sonic testing a cylinder will stop at the first layer of sleeve. Physics

Thanks for the replies. I bought this 4.1 291 block a few years ago as a standard bore only to find out it was .030 over when it arrived. I put it into storage without giving it a good look. I just started to hone it to a 4" bore and saw that it has 2 sleeves. Those cylinders test thinner. I doubt that they are Darton sleeves. They look like about .060 thick. This is just a spare block to be used as a last resort.

I would think you could tell by the way it is honing if it has the good sleeves in it.....
Does anyone know what effect a cylinder sleeve has on sonic testing a cast iron block? The sleeved cylinder tests thinner than the rest.
I have a stage 2 block with some sleeves out in the shop.....I will borrow a sonic tester next week and let you know how it tests....