Some questions about O-ringed heads

Boxcars

Banned
Picture 099.jpg Picture 100.jpg Picture 104.jpg Picture 106.jpg

I acquired these heads a couple years ago. I purchased a car that was basically disassembled with many new engine parts. These heads along with appropriate felpro head gaskets came with the car. I don't know who did them. The heads have never been installed. They have new seals, valve springs, are big valve, ported, combustion chambers smoothed, and O-ring grooved. A friend who looked at them was negative on the O-ring idea and suggested that they could be used with stock head gaskets such as Felpros and that should work fine. Is this the way to go, or not? Another thing I noticed is that there are holes bored on the intake side of the heads. What is the purpose of them? The hole in the heat riser section seems enlarged, and there is also a hole bored next to the heat riser area. I'd really appreciate any and all input on these heads. TIA ;)

Last edited:
Those are not o-ringed heads.
They are cut for the felpro loc-wire gasket, of which I am not a fan...

They are cut for loc-wire felpro 1007's. If they are cut right, they work great. I ran them on my car for about 8 years of daily abuse and they held up fine. Some guys aren't fans because the HG is supposed to be the "fuse" that blows in the event of bad fuel, overboost, detonation, etc. If the HG doesn't blow, the pressure is exerted on the piston and rod.

But, like I said, they hold up well and are pretty solid. If you try to run a different HG, sometimes the fire ring ends up halfway over the loc-wire groove and can cause issues. Some guys mille the groves out (taking out a lot of head deck material, and causing intake manifold alignment issues), some guys have been successful JB welding the grooves full (sounds very shady), and others continue to run the 1007's and have no issues.

I would run what you have, the loc-wire heads and 1007's.

If you decide to mill the grooves off the head, be sure to mill the exact same amount from the intake surface of the head. A stock unmodified intake will then fit correctly without modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, thanks for your input and suggestions. I hope there will be more input. The last thing I would do is remove the grooves. Seems like doing that would be like opening a can of worms. It's good to know that this style of heads work fine with the proper o-ring gaskets. One thing I am puzzled by is the holes bored into the intake side of the heads shown in the pictures. Does anyone know the purpose for these? TIA

I've used the 1007 gaskets on past builds. I don't particularly care for the 1007's. I'd would consider other gaskets first, but you already have the grooves. I don't think I would use a gasket other than the 1007 on a head that has the grooves. I've never tried it, but I would suppose the chances of failure would be high. I have machined the grooves off several sets of heads in the past.

The problem with 1007's is water leakage. The metal fire ring around the combustion chamber contains an internal copper wire in the middle. The outside metal is intended to form itself into the grooves when the head is torqued. The gaskets have the "Print-o-seal" adhesive/sealer around the water passages. I have seen where the sealer doesn't get compressed enough to make an effective seal. I have successfully installed 1007's by applying a Hylomar spray sealer to both sides of the gasket before install.

Ive had problems where poor machine work made the 1007 setup useless. There are tons of variables that go into making sure that the head gasket is properly centered on each head chamber before cut, this done improperly is where ive seen the leaks come from. also most people never check the chamber to block relationship. you would be amazed at how off the 2 can be, so when all of these tolerances stack up - the gasket is crap. If done right, you will join the "Over The Crank" club before you will pop a headgasket.

Aj

View attachment 231020 View attachment 231022 View attachment 231024 View attachment 231025

I acquired these heads a couple years ago. I purchased a car that was basically disassembled with many new engine parts. These heads along with appropriate felpro head gaskets came with the car. I don't know who did them. The heads have never been installed. They have new seals, valve springs, are big valve, ported, combustion chambers smoothed, and O-ring grooved. A friend who looked at them was negative on the O-ring idea and suggested that they could be used with stock head gaskets such as Felpros and that should work fine. Is this the way to go, or not? Another thing I noticed is that there are holes bored on the intake side of the heads. What is the purpose of them? The hole in the heat riser section seems enlarged, and there is also a hole bored next to the heat riser area. I'd really appreciate any and all input on these heads. TIA ;)

There on c.list tampa bay
$700. If anyone is interested
I believe this is
John ( Red regal t ) from z.hills

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app