Solid MAF pipe......MAF killers???

GMLC2V6

Remember reading an article a long time from one of the founding fathers of TR performance that solid MAF pipes caused excessive vibrations to the MAF sensors and caused them to fail permaturely.Has anyone experienced this syndrome?

Saw this argument on the OTHER TB site. There were at least a couple that had MAF failure soon after installing a solid MAF tube and therefore were complete believers.

I have hundred's of thousand miles on my fleet of Buicks and TTAs ..all with a solid pipe ... 1 failed since 1986 .. so NO I don't think it has anything to do with it :eek: :p

Fwiw, I have seen this subject discussed several times at least between the boards, and it always seems that the amount of peeps that have lost a maf shortly after going to a solid pipe is enough to be creditable, but generally somewhat less than half of all responses. Now on the other hand, how do the vendors sell all of the solid pipes that they do.

maf

I've used a solid MAF pipe for 9 years now and have not yet had to replace my MAF sensor. The pipe, of course, is secured to the MAF sensor with a section of 3" silicone hose that helps buffer any vibration. I greatly prefer it to the factory type hose/tube that is prone to leaking and giving lots of goofy scanner numbers (& codes).

Mine died after installing a chrome maf pipe. I used heavy duty rubber hose to connect it to the turbo and maf, The same stuff that was in the part list for the PS intercooler stuff on the board. So I think it is very possible since my car had less than 30,xxx on it when it started going south. JMO

I must also be one of the lucky ones. I run solid maf pipes on both my gn's. One for more than 15 years, and have yet to suffer a maf failure as a result.

Years ago, I heard that it was the bracket that you attach to the MAF, and bolted to your alternator bracket. That was believed to cause too much vibration, since it was bolted directly with no rubber to insulate.

wagon said:
Years ago, I heard that it was the bracket that you attach to the MAF, and bolted to your alternator bracket. That was believed to cause too much vibration, since it was bolted directly with no rubber to insulate.
My translator is velcro'd to the IC...totally exposed to vibration, and its fine. Maybe the MAF is more delicate. :confused: