Solid lifters (flat tappet)

Paul Lohr

I am looking for solid lifters intended for a flat tappet camshaft (not roller) for the Buick V6. Just for checking valve events and valve to piston clearance.

I am pretty sure that the SBC and Buick lifters are the same diameter - 0.842". Has anyone found that the height of the SBC solid lifters is the same as the Buick hydraulic lifters? Height defined as distance from the lobe contact surface to the pushrod cup.

I assume that SBC lifters are the same height since Schneider sells what are likely SBC lifters with their Buick solid flat tappet camshafts?

http://schneidercams.com/274-84Feven-firesolid.aspx

Thanks for any help. I am open to corrections on what is stated above.

I ran the lifters that Crower sells years ago when I had a flat tappet solid cam in my street car. I liked the fact that they had a hole EDM machined in the contact face to give additional lubrication to the contact area between the lifter and the cam lobe. I don't remember what length pushrod I used to be honest.

Neal

Last edited:
You should be able to get a good reading with a hyd lifter. The indicator won't have enough resistance to move the plunger. You could also make an aluminum slug in a lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume that SBC lifters are the same height since Schneider sells what are likely SBC lifters with their Buick solid flat tappet camshafts?

That's a little bit of an overly simplistic statement as actual cup height might and does vary between manufacturers.