Soaking Header Gaskets, Why?

motorhead

motorhead mike
I'd did a search on the Fel Pro 1400s (I have a warped flange) and it was mentioned to soak these in water for 24hrs.

Can anyone explain the advantage of doing this?

I'd just assume install them dry.

Thanks,

Water allows the gasket to expand and when it dries, it kinda sticks to the mating surfaces. Been there done that, and barely works IMHO. The best luck I've had, was using a bead od ultra-copper on the gasket surface and bolting it down, then letting it set for 24 hours. On my SBC, I use Earls PressureMaster exhaust gaskets (aluminum frame around a graphite impregnated gasket insert), too bad there is not one available for our Buicks. The other gasket choice is from NAPA, their NitroSeal exhaust gasket is a graphite impregnated composition exhaust gasket. The idea behind graphite imprenated, is that when the manifold/engine heats up, the graphite flows and takes up space in the area of the gaps.

soak exh gaskets

Soaking allows the gasket to expand, and will conform to the mating surfaces, this will only work with asbestos type gaskets!
I previously worked for hooker headers (as a designer) and have used this trick on numerous hard to seal aplications!
it works! but opinions vary!
good luck,
cruzn57

The BEST thing you can do is get the warped flange "fixed"/surfaced. Then don't worry about gaskets. There wasn't meant to be any in the first place. Fix the problem, don't "band-aid" it.

Stock Header Gasket

Hi Mr.T
Fel pro sells a stock exhaust manifold gasket for our cars. I have used them with great results. I would clean both surfaces and torgue header bolts to 35ftlbs and let it spool. You can get the gaskets at any auto discount store. (Pep boys, Advance Auto,ect...
Should cost around 5-7$$.
Peachs;)

Usually installing a gasket under the stainless headers (yes they are 409 stainless) our cars came with leads to even more warpage. The easiest solution is to have the flanges straightened on a belt sander. I have been doing this on all of the Buicks I have worked on and both my father's car and my own car have had the headers straightened this way.
As someone said, gaskets are a short lived band aid.

Thanks guys. I have heard many different variations on this topic. I'll talk to a machinist buddy of mine and see what he can do about it. If he doesn't have the tools, I'll just stick my already-sitting-in-the-house gasket(s) in place.

BTW, my gaskets were black not green (I read this somewhere) would this be at all odd?

Thanks,

Straight from South Jerseys Dan Smith (As mine was leaking at the Flange to head) - CUT THE FLANGE between each pipe, that way theres some give, and if you feel the need - use ONLY the felpro 1400's!!