Snapped off one Valve Cover bolt and the other is stripped!!

jojo

Ill Take A Moosehead Now!
Last night was tightning the valve cover bolts down (really loose for some reason) anyway i was turning the one on the bottom side of the drivers side, and it just keeps turning. I cant even loosen it to get it off:mad: the one that holds the wastegate solenoid on cracked or snapped while tightning it, and the other half is still inside, and the top portion is just loose and dangling there right now. I called the dealer, and they said those bolts were discontinued. The one that holds the solenoid on has what looks like a stud or something under the nut, but the others dont seem to have these.

First what is the simplest way to get the stripped one off?
Second where to go to get all four new ones, so i can ditch the old crappy ones. Auto parts store? which one? the guy at the dealer said if i bring one in he could match it up with the same new one. But do i need those studs on all of them? or do i just get the replacements and screw them right in? I know the solenoid bolt has to have a nut to it due to the fact that is the only way to hold that piece on to the valve cover, and the top drivers side has a nut holder that other thing on (vacumm hoses go to it from regulator or something :confused: ) but the other two screw right down without studs or anything.

thanks

jojo

Valve cover on drivers side(Does the stripped bolt have a washer under the bolt head) if it does Put some upward pressure under the washer,and at the same time turn the bolt off. That way maybe the bolt threads will match up with the threads in the head and will come out.

Pasenger side depends on if you have a small piece sticking out of the head. If you do have small piece of the stud sticking out try with a pliers to back it out.
Do you have a tap and die set? Before deciding the valve covers should be off.

Originally posted by b231v6
Valve cover on drivers side(Does the stripped bolt have a washer under the bolt head) if it does Put some upward pressure under the washer,and at the same time turn the bolt off. That way maybe the bolt threads will match up with the threads in the head and will come out.

Pasenger side depends on if you have a small piece sticking out of the head.
Do you have a tap and die set? Before deciding the valve covers should be off.

No tap and die. I didnt recall seeing a washer under the nut, for drivers side. And pass side the solenoid is attached to about an inch and half of the bolt that just pulls right out of the valve cover. The rest of the remaining bolt is down in there somewhere. What do you think?

thanks

jojo

Ten years ago I too broke the wastegate stud off. Was able to grasp it with a needle nose and backed it out. Now I've got roller rockers and the solenoid is zip tied to the metal water line.

Are the valve covers off? both or just the one?

negative, im driving the car right now, im at work, but i know i will have to pull them off and replace with some fresh screws. Any other suggestions?

thanks

jojo

Ten years ago I too broke the wastegate stud off. Was able to grasp it with a needle nose and back it out.

I just have one slite probelm. I cant see the other broken piece. So im assuming its sitting down in there pretty deep.

thanks

jojo

Can you get somewhat of an idea how much is in there? Stud you broke off is it rough or smooth?

Can you get somewhat of an idea how much is in there? Stud you broke off is it rough or smooth?

Looks like it broke partially between the threaded area. But still cant see the other piece.

Well easy out the stud,drill it out and tap it, use a shorter bolt.

if there is no washer under the bolt head.Take all the other bolts out and the n try to put some pressue on the bolt head from underneath i.e. screw diver or whatever fits between the3 head and valve cover. Pry up the v c just enough to put some pressure on bolt.Maybe you can find some threads so it will back out.

How much of the stud is in there 1/4,3/8,1/2 of an inch? That would probably dictate the method I'd use..
If it's rough try a small screwdriver.

How much of the stud is in there 1/4,3/8,1/2 of an inch? That would probably dictate the method I'd use..
If it's rough try a small screwdriver.

I would say about a 1/4 inch at the most is still inside. But since im kind of new at this stuff, im not sure what is meant by the drilling. Where am i drilling? wouldnt the remaining piece still be screwed into the bottom portion of the block? or the metal that holds the valve cover on? bare with me here, im not familiar with the tap and die thing yet either. Im trying to picture trying to get a partial piece of a bolt out that is still screwed in the block somewhere without removing the VC.

thanks

jojo

I'd remove the cover,but that's just me. The valve cover is on now without a bolt.I guess the ? would be, do you want it done back to it's original specs or anything that'll work?Shorter bolt screwed in on top of the broken piece for an example?

I'd remove the cover,but that's just me. The valve cover is on now without a bolt.I guess the ? would be, do you want it done back to it's original specs or anything that'll work?Shorter bolt screwed in on top of the broken piece for an example?

Its definately going to be done the right way, i cant just do something halfazz if you know what i mean. I want the car to stay running strong (no leaks) ect... but how would i go about getting that other piece out of there, even when i do remove the gasket?

thanks

jojo

First try the easy out way that's so you won't trash the threads in the head. Go to Sears,hardware store to buy a set of easy outs. Your stud was 1/4 inch I think.The nut was 3/8ths and the stud head is 10 mm's. If there is any directions on the package go by thoughs. Drill a hole into the broken piece of stud using a bit that would be smaller than your stud. Maybe like 3/16ths.You should'nt have to go very deep. Then you would use the appropriate sized easy out bit.That works in a way that when you turn it in counter clockwise it enters the hole which you just dilled.When you continue to turn it will grip the sides of the hole in the stud and turn out. Maybe someone in turbo land could put this in print better than me.

Do NOT I mean DON'T break the easy out off. Then you are screwed.

I broke a vc bolt myself :D Used the bolt extractor from the hardware store, this gizmo has a drill tip on one end and a easy out on the other. So you drill a little into the portion of the stud thats visible then use the other end to remove the bolt. Works like this: regular drill bit to make a hole in the broken stud. Once this is done you use what looks like a cone shaped drill threaded so turning counter clockwise it bites into the walls of the hole you drilled. When it does it will turn the broken stud with it.

You may be lucky if the stud broke and left some sticking out. mine broke flush with the head. Either way you gotta take the valve cover off to see where it broke and fix it.

As for bolts, I found some that worked nicely in the hw store bulk bolt/screw/nail/Etc section. Same length, thread pitch, etc. Granted, they aren't the kind with a stuc on top.

First try the easy out way that's so you won't trash the threads in the head. Go to Sears,hardware store to buy a set of easy outs. Your stud was 1/4 inch I think.The nut was 3/8ths and the stud head is 10 mm's. If there is any directions on the package go by thoughs. Drill a hole into the broken piece of stud using a bit that would be smaller than your stud. Maybe like 3/16ths.You should'nt have to go very deep. Then you would use the appropriate sized easy out bit.That works in a way that when you turn it in counter clockwise it enters the hole which you just dilled.When you continue to turn it will grip the sides of the hole in the stud and turn out. Maybe someone in turbo land could put this in print better than me.

Do NOT I mean DON'T break the easy out off. Then you are screwed.

Ok "Copy That" the Easy Outs:D :confused: :rolleyes: :D

thanks

jojo

Originally posted by z1huggy
I broke a vc bolt myself :D Used the bolt extractor from the hardware store, this gizmo has a drill tip on one end and a easy out on the other. So you drill a little into the portion of the stud thats visible then use the other end to remove the bolt. Works like this: regular drill bit to make a hole in the broken stud. Once this is done you use what looks like a cone shaped drill threaded so turning counter clockwise it bites into the walls of the hole you drilled. When it does it will turn the broken stud with it.

You may be lucky if the stud broke and left some sticking out. mine broke flush with the head. Either way you gotta take the valve cover off to see where it broke and fix it.

As for bolts, I found some that worked nicely in the hw store bulk bolt/screw/nail/Etc section. Same length, thread pitch, etc. Granted, they aren't the kind with a stuc on top.

Sounds good The Bolt Extractor:D :confused: :rolleyes: :D i will figure this one out, cant be that difficult. Im just one of those guys that are not yet familiar with all the goodies the hardware stores have to offer. And all the little goodies these different kinds of tools will do. Thanks for all your help and b231v6 thanks for your help also. Only way to learn is to get the input from the pros and the ones who have already been there and done that.

thanks again

jojo

Hey z1huggy i forget to ask you one thing.

When you went to the hardware store, did you get all the same replacement bolts? what about the bolts that hold the wastegate solenoid on, and on the drivers side the EGR solenoid and the wiring harness? looks like i have a couple of different ones with nuts holding these on, and the rest are 10mm hex looking heads on them that screw right down in.

thanks

jojo