Smoking problem solved

Scooter3800

rippin sh!t up!
For awhile now I've been chasing a smoking problem with my TA-49. I put a oil/air separator in line with the PCV valve - nothing, checked the plugs - nothing. Thought it was the turbo, so I removed the up pipe and it was bone dry. :frown: Checked shaft play on the turbo - nothing on the in/out but it did have some up/down (nothing excessive). I removed the exhaust elbow and from what I could see it was dry (kinda tough to see while in the car). Removed the turbo just to be certain and what do ya know...a nice little oil slick behind the turbine wheel. :mad:

Time for a rebuild...

IMG_1774.jpg

Cliff notes: your turbo doesn't have to have in/out play to have a bad oil seal.

Make sure the oil return is not obstructed and a straight shot to the block with no traps like a bathroom sink or you will get this kind of leak into the exhaust.

Make sure the oil return is not obstructed and a straight shot to the block with no traps like a bathroom sink or you will get this kind of leak into the exhaust.

I have the braided oil return line, so I know that wasn't the problem. :smile:

I have the braided oil return line, so I know that wasn't the problem. :smile:
Dont be so sure. Ive seen them be a problem on more than one car;) . Take a close look and make sure its a downward path with no level or upward routing.

hay scoot I was chasing the same, I have braided line also, but when i removed and looked down the inside... it was like a 3'' tonsil running down the inside, like the inner tubing was folded and that was right were it bent coming out of the turbo..
I made my own after that, now its a 45' angle right into block.

hay scoot I was chasing the same, I have braided line also, but when i removed and looked down the inside... it was like a 3'' tonsil running down the inside, like the inner tubing was folded and that was right were it bent coming out of the turbo..
I made my own after that, now its a 45' angle right into block.

hmmm, I'll have to check that out.

Have any pics of your setup?

Thanks!