Smoke at idle...

RTCarlin

I noticed some smoke coming from my tails yesterday while idling in the driveway warming up. Not excessive, but enough to piss you off when you get a facefull. It doesn't seem to do it until it warms up. I had my wife follow me around the block and she couldn't see any while driving. And ideas on where I should start to look? Here's a few pics... and yes, I need to get the rubber off the rear fenders... :tongue:

---Ron Jr

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

You have a catch can on the pvc? I had a smoking problem last year. I made my own catch can and it cleared right up. Did it for less then $20. It catches alot of oil!

Mine's always a blown seal in the turbo. Usually (always!) a little more than $20 to fix. Pull the Up-Pipe (unless you have a Hot Air car) loose (check for oil in the pipe) and see if that makes it stop. Next try pulling and plugging the PVC line. If it still smokes; it’s probably valve seals or rings.

Fun, fun, fun!

When my car did that it was the turbo. Like stated above block off the PCV and see if the smoke stops to rule out the PCV. When I cheked my turbo it had a very slight oily film on the cold side that goes to the intercooler.

To joe_schindler: How do you fix a blown seal in the turbo for $20?

I had the same problem for a while and it drove me crazy....no oil in up pipe or intake...turned out to be the seal on the exhaust side of turbo. Pull downpipe and see if the seal around impeller looks wet or like cooked oil.Hope this helps you out.

To joe_schindler: How do you fix a blown seal in the turbo for $20?

Mine's always a blown seal in the turbo. Usually (always!) a little more than $20 to fix. Pull the Up-Pipe (unless you have a Hot Air car) loose (check for oil in the pipe) and see if that makes it stop. Next try pulling and plugging the PVC line. If it still smokes; it’s probably valve seals or rings.

Fun, fun, fun!

My fix always cost more than $20. A lot more.

You can have a hot side leak that puts oil right into the exhaust; but you will usually have one on the cold side also.

Good luck,

Joe