Smog check San Jose Ca

alexo

Hello Folks.
Wondering what kinda things to expect on a smog check in this area.
Just bought a car from Georgia and I am a little hesitant on taking it in, but have to.
Anyone out here that can help.
Car has some aftermarket stuff, Shorty intake, headers, 3" exhaust, pitbull muffler, 50lb injectors, 70mm kenne bell. Still has the cat though. Which is nice.
ANy thing else I need to look into? I know the obvious stuff like the sensors and vacuum leaks, but anything else?
Probably going to take it to a test only area first and then go from there.
Any help would be great!!

Congrats on the car.
Sadly it might get pretty tough for you to pass smog.
You might be able to get lucky though.

Thanks for the congrats.
Anything that you could advice on would be great!, if not than thanks anyway.

If it looks stock to someone that doesn't know better you might pass the visual. There's places that fail you for not having a CARB sticker on an intake. Go in for a test only and report back. We can take it from there.

Hello Folks.
Wondering what kinda things to expect on a smog check in this area.
Just bought a car from Georgia and I am a little hesitant on taking it in, but have to.
Anyone out here that can help.
Car has some aftermarket stuff, Shorty intake, headers, 3" exhaust, pitbull muffler, 50lb injectors, 70mm kenne bell. Still has the cat though. Which is nice.
ANy thing else I need to look into? I know the obvious stuff like the sensors and vacuum leaks, but anything else?
Probably going to take it to a test only area first and then go from there.
Any help would be great!!

Peter is right, get it checked out at a test only station and see what it does. The things I see them bitching about:
intake and 70mm KB. You still have the EGR?

Eric at turbo tweak can burn you a smog chip for your injectors if needed. I am down in San Diego and have some stock parts that could help you out if worse comes to worse. I have the stock throttle body and upper plenum, and all of the stock intake setup minus the hose from the MAF to the turbo inlet. Post back with some results and pray for the best. ;)

Smog chip, cat, make sure O2 is well ect. Also EGR must work to pass as I understand.

Come to the local meeting next Tuesday and we'll take a peek at it. Milpitas Round Table on Calaveras. 7pm. A few of the guys know a thing or 2 about these cars :biggrin:

Smog chip, cat, make sure O2 is well ect. Also EGR must work to pass as I understand.

Come to the local meeting next Tuesday and we'll take a peek at it. Milpitas Round Table on Calaveras. 7pm. A few of the guys know a thing or 2 about these cars :biggrin:

Got a couple spare O2 sensors as well, but no EGR. EGR has been welded shut for a while now. ;)

meeting

yeah like mark said come to the meeting...because im thirsty:tongue: and the new guy has to buy:biggrin:

If you dont mind driving to Menlo Park, there is a cat named Alan that runs the smog shop there. He owns a GN and knows whats up. Give him a call 650-325-1280

Great. Thanks for all the input.
I am pretty sure I'll take you guys up on the offer of the meeting unless work comes up, but for now looks free.
I might also give the guy in Menlo Park a ring as well.
Forgive my newness where the hell is the stock EGR location?
Thanks

Drivers side of the intake man. Should have a black plastic cover on it, with a vacuum hose going to it. That is, unless you have a blockoff plate installed.

By the way, to clarify, the stock parts I have are to loan if you need them. Wasn't trying to sell you anything. ;)

I might have to come by just to see what a running GN looks like. :cool:

Yes folks,
AS mentioned might be there.
Cars pretty rough and any help would be ideal, even if it's some input.
Could you believe that DMV cost to register this car is $610!!! Crap...
Thanks Cali!

I did a show and tell with one of your radiators a few months ago. I think you should come.

Thanks Mark. I'll try to get out there next week. Two of my favorite things, pizza and cars. :D

Peter is buying....im there.

Ummm, I believe you took all of my money in the last poker game. Think that makes it a requirement for you YOU to buy, big winner!

Properly tune it up (fresh plugs, oil and filter, fuel filter, air fliter, clean MAF, O2 sensor, spring cleaning stuff, etc.)

Make sure that cat isn't gutted....

Smog chip from Eric at TurboTweak...

Turn the fuel pressure down to 38psi....

Keep your foot out of it....and get it good and warmed up....

Find a place that is not anal about visual, and go blow a clean result.

If visual is going to be a problem...swap off all the parts they will fail you for, go pass smog...drive home and swap back...