SMC vs Alkcontrol vs. ?

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
Trying to figure out what kit to buy for my 87 GN.

Noticing a substantial price delta between the Alkycontrol kit and the SMC. any reason for this?

Is there truly something about the Alkycontrol kit that makes it worth it to blow another $130 for it over the SMC?

Who else is out there?

Thanks!
Tim

Well i dont have either one yet, but i ordered a SMC today. I have a friend with a SMC and he said he like the fact that if he wants to run race fuel, and cut his alky almost off to lean the car SMC will let you, but he said the Razor cant be cut off. its all what you want, i really like the price of the SMC!

Well i dont have either one yet, but i ordered a SMC today. I have a friend with a SMC and he said he like the fact that if he wants to run race fuel, and cut his alky almost off to lean the car SMC will let you, but he said the Razor cant be cut off. its all what you want, i really like the price of the SMC!

Total BS, you can do all kinds of stuff with Razors kit.

One major difference is pressure/flow capability. The SMC with twin nozzles can make 70psi line pressure. The Razor kit with twins can make +150psi line pressure. The Razor pump is much larger than the SMC pump.

If you want to go low 11's or faster, Razor is the better choice.

This is so wrong its on the other side of the moon.. You tune an engine with gasoline and use alky to suppress knock. You dont lean an engine out shutting down the alky.. doing so blows holes through parts.

There is a nice ON/OFF on the kit. Why would someone shut it off... is beyond me. Only for diagnostic purposes. But not to race the engine.

As far as money.. there is a higher cost to build the system the way I make it all the way around. From the larger pump, fittings, hoses, electrical, tank, filter, etc..

do a search.. this has been beat to death :rolleyes:

Thanks.
I actually did try a search or two first, but every message that had alchohol injection in it showed up and after scanning several pages it was full of stuff I wasn't looking for....so I got lazy and posted...

Thanks, guys.

This is so wrong its on the other side of the moon.. You tune an engine with gasoline and use alky to suppress knock. You dont lean an engine out shutting down the alky.. doing so blows holes through parts.

There is a nice ON/OFF on the kit. Why would someone shut it off... is beyond me. Only for diagnostic purposes. But not to race the engine.

As far as money.. there is a higher cost to build the system the way I make it all the way around. From the larger pump, fittings, hoses, electrical, tank, filter, etc..

Thanks, razor.
I had not drawn the connection yet that you are Alkycontrol. I'm a little slow...
:)

Makes perfect sense to me now.
Better parts = higher price.
Plus there is something to say about the fact that you are very accessable for tech support when it's needed. Value of that = priceless.

For my usage, I don't see that I'll ever try to push my GN beyond mid 11's...I'll actually be content in the 12's since this is a daily driver and I need to keep it easily convertable back to smog legal for emmisions testing every 2 years.

Currently, all I'm trying to do is make my GN 91 octane friendly so I can turn the boost up over 14 safely. So I need alky.

From there I'll move on to upgrading the exhaust (Hooker cat back...naybe a nice downpipe) and intake (cold air kit and MAF upgrade) and should be able to safely tune my way into low 12's on pump gas from what I'm gathering.

In your expert opinion, knowing the above, do I still "need" your kit over the SMC?

Please don't misunderstand my question...not trying to be a wise @$$. Just trying to learn from the pro's.

Thanks!
Tim

I just put in an SMC kit, really easy install. I still need to tune it but I'm pretty happy so far. From what I read Razor's kit seems better but I'm only looking for high 11's at best so the SMC seems like it will work for me.

Imho

Ive only installed one alky kit so far and it was a razr kit.I read,read and read some more about the kits and the performance gains but still didn't understand the performance improvement until i drove a car with one i put on.
the kit was well made,easy to install and Julio was there with any questions and tech help every time i called.planing on installing one on my T for store demo when the funds allow (had to pay taxes this year:eek: ).
another point,just look around here on the forum,I'm not sure who does the other kit,but i don't see them here day in and day out helping people like Julio does,that speaks volumes in its self.......
im not saying the other kit is not good......i have no clue. saving money when it comes to pushing my engine for more performance is out of the question for me.....i hate pulling motors(ive never pulled an lc2)..........

Well i made my own kit, and Rubbing alky took it out so i had to get something. I have no idea about the two kits, i just was saying what i heard other drivers say. Im sure razor is great, but my budget fit SMC better, and if it works as good as my homemade one did im happy. Also i got to buy the kit, and then buy a 3bar MAP sensor on top of that, dont seem to be worth the cost.

Well i made my own kit, and Rubbing alky took it out so i had to get something. I have no idea about the two kits, i just was saying what i heard other drivers say. Im sure razor is great, but my budget fit SMC better, and if it works as good as my homemade one did im happy. Also i got to buy the kit, and then buy a 3bar MAP sensor on top of that, dont seem to be worth the cost.

Please dont take offense, but looking at your sig there is a lot of dough tied up in your setup. So the word budget :eek:

Thanks, guys.

Thanks, razor.
I had not drawn the connection yet that you are Alkycontrol. I'm a little slow...
:)

Makes perfect sense to me now.
Better parts = higher price.
Plus there is something to say about the fact that you are very accessable for tech support when it's needed. Value of that = priceless.

For my usage, I don't see that I'll ever try to push my GN beyond mid 11's...I'll actually be content in the 12's since this is a daily driver and I need to keep it easily convertable back to smog legal for emmisions testing every 2 years.

Currently, all I'm trying to do is make my GN 91 octane friendly so I can turn the boost up over 14 safely. So I need alky.

From there I'll move on to upgrading the exhaust (Hooker cat back...naybe a nice downpipe) and intake (cold air kit and MAF upgrade) and should be able to safely tune my way into low 12's on pump gas from what I'm gathering.

In your expert opinion, knowing the above, do I still "need" your kit over the SMC?

Please don't misunderstand my question...not trying to be a wise @$$. Just trying to learn from the pro's.

Thanks!
Tim

Tim,
All I can say is I take great pride in the product I mfg. I consider it the very best injection kit available on the market today.. and support it to the best of my ability. The difference in cost is less than a tank fillup. And you will never out grow it. I dont care what modification you do to your car.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Julio

I have the SMC progressive with a single nozzle. My car has run 6.90 @100 in the 1/8 mile so it is a high ten second car. I run 27# boost with '0' knock.

Tim,
All I can say is I take great pride in the product I mfg. I consider it the very best injection kit available on the market today.. and support it to the best of my ability. The difference in cost is less than a tank fillup. And you will never out grow it. I dont care what modification you do to your car.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Julio

Thanks, Julio.
Good point on the cost of a tank of gas, and I appreciate the feedback and guidance.

Question:
Is the 3 Bar MAP required or optional?
What's it's purpose if it is not required?

I have the SMC progressive with a single nozzle. My car has run 6.90 @100 in the 1/8 mile so it is a high ten second car. I run 27# boost with '0' knock.

Good data point.
Thanks!

Question:
Is the 3 Bar MAP required or optional?
What's it's purpose if it is not required?

The 3 bar sensor reads up to 29.4 PSI. It tells the controller what boost your at. If your car doesnt have a 3 bar currently, yes it will need the 3 bar. That way as the boost increases it raises pressure on the system. So if your at 20 PSI boost and go to 24 PSI boost, the controller sends more signal to the pump.. making tuning a piece of cake.

You later can use the 3 bar for other things like logging boost or converion to speed density.

Just my 2¢ on this... Anyone considering an alky kit should go with Razor's kit. A great kit that's beyond compare with unbelievable customer support from Julio. Why not get the best from the best.

Other kits might be fine but it's like wanting to buy Oreo cookies but settling for those generic store brand "brown sandwich cookies" just to save a little... ;)

Another extremely satisfied customer, Paul

Thanks, Julio and all.

I now have a clearer head with which to make a decision.

Gotta say. The customer support thing is huge to me. I'm a walking, talking demonstration of Murphy's Law....it's a gift....I can break anything at least once, so having good tech support available is a as good as having a compass in my survival kit.
...Don't ask....ties into Murphy...

Thanks again.
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Tim

My 2 cents here....

I once had an SMC alky kit I bought used, found the pump was seized and ended up sticking in a used Walbro 340 since the pumps are no longer being made. I never did run it on my car (ended up getting twice what I paid for by selling on ebay) but from what I learned, it was a simple set up - meaning it was a little tank, a little pump, the braided hose with injector and a little controller box that relied on boost pressure to activate.

The razor kit was all that PLUS the low fluid warning in the dash, power injection light in dash, the 2 stage LED that goes next to the boost gauge, the bottle which is designed to fit our cars in the stock location and use a smaller bottle for coolant catching...for a stealth look, the electronically turned on pump, the no need to lube the pump, the Razor kit offers a 2 nozzle set up (if you need it) and the ability to fine tune the PAC if I wanted to. Plus I got a free t shirt out of it, probably since I bought the kit just before the Bowling Green nats. Oh and I forgot Julio was a great guy to chat with, I wished I had more time to have chatted with him via phone. I played hell trying to call Steve at SMC.

So yeah in my opinion it was worth the extra dough for one of Julios kits that looks like it actually belongs on the car, especially since I value my low dollar engine. Know what I mean? ;)

87Regal3.8SFI
you had a very old SMC system.. He has alot newer style kit now, that had a built in 3 bar map etc..

None the less, both kits work well,