SMC non-progressive users - where's your knob at?

cuda6pak

Right now I'm still doing a little tuning on my 87 GN. SMC kit running straight methanol with a mix of lubricant. TE44, girdled 109, ported heads, dutt neck, THDP, hooker aerochambers, TT chip, etc.

I have it set at 22psi with 1* added to the TT street chip and the alky knob right around 8.5 with no knock. I'm thinking about bumping it up some but it seems 8.5 on the alky knob is kinda pushing it, anyone running with one maxed out?

edit: Yes I know I'm not supposed to be using methanol, but I talked to Steve and he said might as well run meth with a bit of lube because of $15/gal vs $3/gal in my area. Already been through a few tanks and everything is working great.

If you turn the alky pressure up with the non-progressive kit you can bog the motor. I leave mine at 6.5 - 6.9 with no KR @ 21 psi - regular denatured alky.

When I had the non progressive kit I just turned the knob as high as it would go ( I think it was 10 ) and adjusted boost accordingly:biggrin: Now I have the progresive system and run 24psi and 26 deg through all 3 gears. No knock. Now the old kit is on my SVO, still "wide open" and 25 psi on the stock turbo. I think the pump pressure is down to 60psi, may be time for a rebuild.

On my old setup the pump was always on 10, and would bog with less than 19psi boost. Easy fix. Up the boost. Why have it on there at all if you can't be set on kill all the time? lol jmo....
I have mine set on 10 always and turn on point is around 15-17psi. no knock, no bog....

Great thread and subscribing to it since I'm running the old round bottle SMC kit too. I just had my in tank pump replaced by Steve since the old one was only putting out 40 PSI and getting tired. New one is quite strong at 70 PSI and getting major bog at wide open settings for both at 23 PSI. New single
M15 nozzle and TT alky chip too. Running ethanol (denatured alcohol) with a splash of lubricant. I will experiment by leaning it back to 8-9 as a start and see if that takes the bog out. When it bogs, it lays on it's face only at upper RPM. Have verified good known MAF so hoping it's in the alky tuning. If not that, then will look towards grounds and ignition.

Mines at 10 both cars.

About 70-75 psi. pressure from the pump.

Turn on 10 psi. into an M10, M15 turns on at 18psi. through a solenoid and either a hobbs or electronic boost switch, each car is a bit different but same solenoid activation point.

25 psi. street boost 23/21 chips.

Fast spooling turbo from 10-25psi. :cool:

No problems, 11.5 AFR on the dyno. :smile:

No heads or cam. excepting the 170K stockers, and original headgaskets. ;)

I run mine at max, which is 10 on the knob. Don't know the psi because I don't have gauge, comes in at 14 to 16 boost . This is my fifth year with this old kit and still runs great on 95% ethanol.

Marco.
T-Top 86 Grand National (61300km)
stock long block, stock suspension, 12 inch red stripe convertor (2800stall), te44, smc alk injection (95 % etanol), 25.5lbs boost, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, 42 ½ lbs 009 injectors, turbotweak alky chip, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3835lbs race weight with driver. (Torque convertor locked only after car shifted in third), rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, comp cam 980 valve springs.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.55
1/8= 7.34
1/4= 11.59
MPH=118
BEST 60FT=1.52

I got mine from Steve at SMC, you'd have to email him or call to see if he still has any for sale.

A search for Uplon Klotz alcohol fuel lube will get you plenty of race shops online that carry the quart size for sale.

I've heard that 1-2 ounces per gallon/ alky of Marvel Mystery Oil will work fine too. Has worked for me for 6 years.