SMC installed today!

DJay

GN Novice.
:D Sorry for the long post. I just know when i was considering purchasing an alky kit, I was looking for a post like this to fill ME in on some specifics....

Get those hands ready Red! ROFL! I feel some typin comin on! Heh heh ...

SMC was delivered today. I'm pretty much the newb, but decided to tackle this install w.o any help from my wrench savvy friend.

The kit was properly packed and not damaged at all when delivered. Instructions were VERY easy to understand even for a newbie like me. I could visualize EXACTLY how everything was supposed to work.

I was plannin on takin pix and postin about my experience, but alas ... i was too impatient to wait for my buddy with the camera to get off of work. I also realized that this is so straight forward, a pictorial type guide is totally un-needed.

The instructions reccomended installing the tank on the side of the fan shroud, but my radiator guys really screwed mine up. I opted to install a 1/8" flat stock piece of aluminum painted black and screwed into place above the radiator and under the radiator support. Doesn't look half bad! This allowed the short braided hose to reach from the tank (right between the intercooler and fan) to the downpipe no problem.

Installing the tank, installing the jet and routing the control wires through the engine bay went by so fast; i thought i had forgotten something!

Spliced into my boost gauge line, ran power / ground, connected the control unit and wha lah! Completed SMC install. The only problem I'm experiencing is how to properly affix the control box to the side of the dash (above radio pod). The velcro looked REALLY bad (too thick, VERY visible) and wouldn't stick. 3M 2 sided tape wouldn't stick. For now its double sided taped on its side to the top of the radio pod until i figure out exactly how I'm going to approach this problem.

*As far as tuning goes...*

Made my wastegate actuator "adjustable" today as well and starting playing with the pump turn on / pump speed features. After 3 WOT runs i had the boost at 19 psi at 810 mV with 0 (read ZERO) knock retard! Since my car's been runnin hot lately (195) i would get 3-5 KR in 3rd gear at 15 PSI before! Talk about heaven!

Needless to say, the car runs faster and better than ever; and now safely! Steve was great to deal with, and his product was a breeze to install. I'll post some follow up pictures of the actual finshed installation next day or two.

As far as SMC vs DIY. For a newb like me, once i saw the clean installation and wiring of the controller / pump / tank i realized this was DEFINITELY the way to go fer me!

BTW ... DIY is cheeper. (just thought i'd mention that since i knew no 1 else would .... )

Heh heh ....

Good deal man! I also am not all that savvy with car repair, but I wanted to do the instal myself. I looked at all the options, and opted for SMC because it's bar none the easiest to instal and the most painless to obtain. 1 payment, 1 email, 1 week wait. I still managed to have some issues (bad under hood ground, loosened the screw too much, didn't have the right drill bit for the uppipe, melted the main control wire), but they were all relatively minor obstacles. And all due to my ignorance and inexperience. I shudder to think what would happen if I attempted the DIY kit.

Once it was up and running I snuck up on the boost. First 18psi, no knock. 19, 20...WOO HOO. I'm now running close to 22psi without any knock except maybe a frame or two on DS on the 2-3 shift. The car pulls so hard now...its just awesome.

Alky is definitely the way to go with these cars. Congrats on the success story, it's good to hear.

Originally posted by DJay
The only problem I'm experiencing is how to properly affix the control box to the side of the dash (above radio pod). The velcro looked REALLY bad (too thick, VERY visible) and wouldn't stick. 3M 2 sided tape wouldn't stick. For now its double sided taped on its side to the top of the radio pod until i figure out exactly how I'm going to approach this problem.

gee you too!? man i installed my dual nozzle kit like a couple months ago and i still haven't figured out how to get that control box to affix to the side of the dash...mine's been laying right on top of the radio pod as well since i have had the kit...it actually doesn't move up there though! i almost don't want to move it...kinda annoying seeing everything sideways though...hehe

lol jeff ... red was bein kewl and now u gotta jump start him?!? ROFL!

Originally posted by stevemon
Razor,
I said right side didn't I? Welp, scratch that. :confused: It's on the left side. :eek: Sorry.
I really prefer it there since it's right under the A Pillar gage assembly & I'm able to monitor the boost & knock gages and refer to the Scanmaster with just a slight tilt of my head.

I'm usually looking at the other car in my rear view mirror so all I have to do is look down. hehe

Its all good man.. :D