Slow Website

Were more drives added and a raid array built instead of riding on the mirror set?

We doubled the RAM, switched to a dual quad core and put the SQL databases on a SSD drive.

It already costs a fortune to host this site. As much as a sweet RAID set would have rocked, its outside the realm of financial possibility.

Slow?? Are you high??

The site is way faster than it was before the update. I personally feel that each person that complains about the speed from here on out gives a $5 donation fee to the site. :D

The site is way faster than it was before the update. I personally feel that each person that complains about the speed from here on out gives a $5 donation fee to the site. :D

Or to my MS ride next year ;)

Well.. if I could have gotten $5.00 from everyone on the site, I would have raised closed to $100,000.

Thats true next year just knock the site down and say pending donations the site is shut down. And list a link to your donation site.

Thats true next year just knock the site down and say pending donations the site is shut down. And list a link to your donation site.

LOL.. well, id rather people just donated on their own instead of holding them hostage ;)

LOL.. well, id rather people just donated on their own instead of holding them hostage ;)

Yeah thats true. I think that next year will be better for your donations because the economy was down and what not. I don't think it was people didn't want to donate they were just scared of another depression. So the market is coming back. And its like anyting you are only nice so many times then you lose it. You should get your site up now so you can get interest on the first donations.;)

Yeah thats true. I think that next year will be better for your donations because the economy was down and what not. I don't think it was people didn't want to donate they were just scared of another depression. So the market is coming back. And its like anyting you are only nice so many times then you lose it. You should get your site up now so you can get interest on the first donations.;)

Theyre actually still taking money for 2009 for a few more days. 2010 wont kick off until New Years Day.

You must own a host site as much as you tap on these guys balls everytime one of these threads come up:rolleyes:

Close, I just love going into servers and fixing performance problems. I have gone in behind trained consultants and cut almost all performance bottlenecks out of the users experience. It's not always easy or cheap, yet cheaper than some might think. RAID arrays in external DAS (Direct Attached Storage) is the way to go. 4GB per second is no problem for data transfers. It gets even better on dual port adapters where you have at least two lanes to and from the storage arrays. You could then have something like two separate 4GB pipes back to the server, each holding a raid 5 8 drive array. Yes, it would be scary fast if setup correctly.

I would donate an IBM 345 server https://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-58359&brandind=5000008 I have at the house here if it weren't for the need to co-locate everything. It would make a great DB server and has six 10K 36 GB drives, just what databases like. Ok, really they like 73 GB drives spinning at 15K but, it would still be fast. I am not complaining about the speed, most the time I am on is when most of the US sleeps.