Skips second gear

mrstage1

Ok guys,I need some fresh ideas on my trans.First a little history on whats been done to it.Freshened it and installed 12 hours before Noble.Has "red" clutches,billet servo,wider band,.500 boost valve and a Trans-Go shift reprogramming kit(the one that had the option of full manual ).Trans shifts fine at full throttle when manually actuated.Crisp and firm.Little late(400rpm)but further TV adjustment will probly cure that.Problems are at part throttle.When stone cold,sometimes will not downshift to first when coming to a stop.Starts in second(this problem has only happened a couple times and disappears after a couple blocks)when I leave the light.Makes a good shift to drive there after.When at operating temp. trans goes from first,barely "skims" second,and drops into drive early.Lockup is also inconsistent,although can be manually triggered regularly with my lockup switch.Will not lockup in OD on it's own,but sometimes(strangely)will lockup in second then "release" as I speed up and get into higher gears.(when manually triggered lockup holds normally). Could this have something to do with servo seals on the shaft?I know I've written a book here,but since I am in the repair and modification business myself, I know that you can never have enough info on a problem.If you need more,just ask.I hope someone can give me at least a new direction to head as I'm kinda stumped(trans was built by someone else as I watched and asked questions.Never really got into building auto transmissions.Trying to learn them now)

Call me..... No friggin way I am typing this!!!!!!! :D

Bruce
WE4

Uh oh.It's either really simple(thus,I am retarded), or it's a long answer(this is what I'm hoping).

you either get to have sk fun, or you need to make sure you have proper pin length. I dont care much for leaky billet servos. Great for drag/trailer car not good for street.Involves boosting pressure higher through valves and requires screwing with gov. springs. TV adjustment wont do it.

Originally posted by AxL87GN
.... I dont care much for leaky billet servos. Great for drag/trailer car not good for street.Involves boosting pressure higher through valves and requires screwing with gov. springs....
Whats wrong with billet servo's for the street and what do you mean "leaky"? :confused:

Billet servos are great for drag racing. to drive every day no. Oil gets hot and stock pressures dont hold very well. I don't care for them in 200's or 700's. Maybe we had a few that were mis machined,but when they got hot. They would bleed oil pressure through the pin.

That is why PTS installs a seal on shaft to prevent.

Always a reason, always a reason............

Billet servos are fantstic. The problem the gentlemen above experianced was due to a less than quality piece. The right one will provide you with a lifetime of great service and extend band life.

Bruce
WE4

Bruce,thanks for the info on the phone the other day.Will definitely be giving you a ring when I can have the car down for a day or two(weather here in NE Ks. has gone crazy, so riding my bike or driving my '68 Chevelle ragtop around isn't an option).Damn, wish I'd known about 200's not liking that particular kit.