Should you paint the inside of a pan?

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
I say never unless its coated, put Krylon is not good .:D I have a pan i had to take apart and strip the paint. It had been deepend and was gas welded and all the carbon on the inside was ready to flake off into my motor:eek: I dont understand why you would do this:confused: I had to glass bead the weld area (Witch i dont like to do to a pan) to get the carbon off. Then wire wheel it and put in in the dish washer then blast it with a high presure washer.
Just to make dam sure there is NO glass bead inbeded into the pan. People dont really Krylon there pans do they? What was this guy thinking:confused:

When I bought a new 20 bolt oil pan from GM, the entire pan was painted black, including the inside. Perhaps GM uses epoxy or urethane paint?

A baked on coating would be alright like the factory...

Nope.They only did it to prevent long term corrosion form the acids in the oil.Remember that an oil pan's job is to:
A;Form a reservoir for the oil to be drawn from
B;Allow a repository for the oil to cool before being sent back into use
C;Allow the oil to stand to de-aerate.
Any paint will stop or hinder thermal transfer,hence lowering the oil's capacity to withstand thermal stress.With some of the guys running remotes and ditching the stock cooler,they need all the cooling capacity they can get.Ideally,if you don't drive the car dailly,don't paint anything.

Nope.They only did it to prevent long term corrosion form the acids in the oil.

Like i said a baked on coating is alright:)
The point is dont paint the inside of a pan and if you gas weld on it clean the carbon out;)

Originally posted by geno
Nope.They only did it to prevent long term corrosion form the acids in the oil.

Like i said a baked on coating is alright:)
The point is dont paint the inside of a pan and if you gas weld on it clean the carbon out;)

Gas weld?What,are you living in the stone ages?Remove the carbon and slag,yup.Most coatings,baked on or otherwise will tend to slow down any heat transfer to the outside air.They can also flake off in time and get in where they don't belong.So why invite trouble?

Originally posted by The Radius Kid

Gas weld?What,are you living in the stone ages?

Jeez... .Gas welded and smoothed 4" MAF pipe If I'd tacked it in more places and gotten it to mate slightly better, I'd have been happier..

I have a gas welding setup at home (Henrob torch) and with practice, you can do awesome work with it. Most of the high dollar aluminum welding restoration work is gas welded..look at this guy's work! http://www.tinmantech.com/

I'm a rank amateur but I'm working on it..and now you know gas setups aren't just for torching parts off of junkyard cars. :)

This pan was done with a #1 tip or so and heated up a large area and had alot of carbon boiled to the top on the inside. You can do a really nice job with double ott tip and keep the area much smaller without causing so much heat.

Finally,some reaction out of you guys.Yes I've done gas welding,and it can be good,especially if you don't have access to TIG or MIG welders.But there's just something about a good TIG job that's hard to beat.Call me quirky.:D