should it pass?

tford

Registered Member
Emissions test on dyno. Probably won't get into boost but can I just leave the chip/tune alone and pass in MD? I have a cat and the egr is functional. I'm thinking about turning boost down, alky off, and pull some fuel out with the chip. Is all of that necessary? Thanks, Tim

Hello, anybody? Maybe I should move this to another part of the forum.

You might want to get a TT emissions chip. They are cheap and *can* help you pass. If your cat is in good condition emmsisions parts work you would probably pass no problem with an emissions chip.

It passed before with an old Jim Testa street chip. They told me it ran cleaner than new cars. Thanks for replying.

Nice :)

Hopefully mine passes when I get put back together. CA smog is tougher, but these cars can run clean.

What about just unhooking the actuator rod so it doesn't boost? That should be the easiest way to pass. I might try that. What do you guys think? Tim

Thanks to ttype85 for the one lonely response. I guess I'm on my own for this one.

Just to follow up on my experience, it passed with no problems on an alky tt chip. No special emissions chip. Of course, all factory emissions stuff is fully functional on my car. MD doesn't do the dyno anymore so that was good. The guy working there said they f***ed up too many cars. One station blew up a new Porsche. I didn't even need to get out of my car. Tim

Hey Tim glad to hear you passed. Sorry for the very little responses. Most TR's won't have a problem as long as you have a working cat and EGR. I've even passed with race gas in the tank. lol Of course after Jan 1, the 87's are exempt. Got a 89 TTA, you still have a few years to go.

I do wonder about CA emissions? Do you guys still have to get on the dyno?

I do wonder about CA emissions? Do you guys still have to get on the dyno?

Yep, and I heard a rumor that they tightened the standards down another 30% too. They want all old cars off the road in CA. New car = more tax revenue.

i have to wait here in pa for emissions,my car has a exempt sticker on it because i drive under 5000miles a year,of course i have no cat and a cut out. my mechanic said dont worry about next year cause i wont need an emission sticker anymore. sorry to the tta guys its only 2more years.

i have to wait here in pa for emissions,my car has a exempt sticker on it because i drive under 5000miles a year,of course i have no cat and a cut out. my mechanic said dont worry about next year cause i wont need an emission sticker anymore. sorry to the tta guys its only 2more years.

I would be more worried about the PPA in Philly than anything else. lol Is it as bad as they portray it to be on TV? I know they have to make a interesting show.

about the PPA, they are worse than tv seriously,they drive around the city with a device that reads your plates and they can pull up registration,insurance,etc. they can even pull up and tow your car away if your paperwork insnt perfect,im dead serious. i mean our mayor is named "nutter" NUT!!!!!! he will do anything to make money for the city,oh i mean money for raises for him and his staff, its true.

Yep, and I heard a rumor that they tightened the standards down another 30% too. They want all old cars off the road in CA. New car = more tax revenue.

That's for cars manufactured in future years, not old clunkers. They'll pay you to take one off the road, but as much as they'd like to they'd have a hard time tightening the standards cars were sold under years ago.

There used to be a 30 year sunset law, make it to 30 and your car was free! Bad enough they took that away.

Just to follow up on my experience, it passed with no problems on an alky tt chip. No special emissions chip. Of course, all factory emissions stuff is fully functional on my car. MD doesn't do the dyno anymore so that was good. The guy working there said they f***ed up too many cars. One station blew up a new Porsche. I didn't even need to get out of my car. Tim

I recall reading the TT emmissions chip was for 2 speed idle test? Here are my results with VP 100 octane and the TT emmission chip on a dyno:

This was from 08 with a Turbo tweak smog chip, Might have been 100 or 91 octane, can't remember, the T+, can't remember where the fuel pressure was 38ish?

15 mph

HC - Max 110 measured 110

CO - Max 0.71 measured 0.40

NO - Max 772 measured 230

25 mph

HC - Max 85 measured 50

CO - Max 0.59 measured 0.03

NO - Max 711 measured 45