should i upgrade it?

menace848

Yeah, Im the slow GN, so?
my car has almost 145K miles on it...so far no problems(knock on wood). I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a TE44 turbo and probably some 009 injectors. My question is, with all the miles on the car, should I hold off on the turbo before I can do a rebuild on the engine(could be a long time)? The car has been treated with plenty of respect and I dont drive it too often these days. Will the new mods increase the chances of my car breaking in some way since all the internals are stock? I was hoping to run 12s before summer...

That thing is just screeming for a 44. I know several guys with 150k plus miles on their cars running a 44 into the 11s at the track. As long as you have the boost set low, you'd never know it wasn't stock. Turn up the wick and hold on!!

Originally posted by menace848
I was hoping to run 12s before summer...

Your racegas, a race chip, tuning, and slicks away from 12's. If you don't want to run any faster than mid 12's - I'd stick with the stock stuff.

Pick it up and slap it on. If you take care of your engine and keep it tuned right, it'll last. Just ask Jorge from Miami...he's got oodles of miles on his car and he's dipped into the 11's I think. And he's got more mods comin, methinks. :)

oh i am definitely going for the good stuff if i get this turbo, that means slicks(MT ET streets), injectors, and race chip

Originally posted by menace848
my car has almost 145K miles on it...so far no problems(knock on wood). I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a TE44 turbo and probably some 009 injectors. My question is, with all the miles on the car, should I hold off on the turbo before I can do a rebuild on the engine(could be a long time)? The car has been treated with plenty of respect and I dont drive it too often these days. Will the new mods increase the chances of my car breaking in some way since all the internals are stock? I was hoping to run 12s before summer...

I hope your timing chain has been replaced.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Pick it up and slap it on. If you take care of your engine and keep it tuned right, it'll last. Just ask Jorge from Miami...he's got oodles of miles on his car and he's dipped into the 11's I think. And he's got more mods comin, methinks. :)

Yup,

I slapped my 44 on at 157 K miles and never looked back. It really woke the car up. It's got some more in it, I know it. Keep in mind that ever since It hit 153K, I've been changing the oil every 1,000 miles. Make sure you have a strong tranny. That will aid in giving the motor life. I just turned 163K and it seems like the car just keeps getting faster every day. I hope to have enough money to rebuild it by the end of this year. I want a 10.99 pass or better next year. :eek: Right now I'm going for 11.50's the way it sits.

Go for it. Watch your KR and be easy on it and you'll be O.K.

:cool:

Dont let mileage scare you. Mine has 135k+ on it now. Only things that have been replaced are the valve springs and timing chain. The heads have never been off as far as I can tell.
I have a TE45a on mine and have run as much as 27lbs of boost in it. It loves it!
As long as your oil pressure is good and there are no other maladies with it, I would say go for it.