Should I go further with this car?

Patriot_tech

Hi all,

Hopefully you guys can give me some advice. My 87 GN has 29K on it.
I bought it from an older gentlemen that has several and this one was the lowest mileage and least modified. It is in near mint shape and still had the original eagle's on it when I got it (albeit worn). It still has the plastic protective cover on the dash and radio bezels. It currently has:
Stock turbo, IC, Injectors
Adj FP reg
Pypes exhaust
3" DP and test pipe (not stainless)
Walbro 340 fuel pump hotwired
Scanmaster and a piller boost guage inside

I have all the stock parts too. I'd like to go faster but don't want to kill the value of the car. I'd probably go with a TA49 or similar and stretch IC, Inj. (ie the usual). Maybe replace the shocks (still on original) and wheels too.
Should I leave it alone or move forward? Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I really liked my car with the TA-49, Blue Top Injectors, Stretch Stock Location Intercooler, 3" DP, and a 2800 RPM (Red Stripe) converter.

It was a real pleasure to drive, and sometimes I really wish I left my car alone to that point.

TA-49 was a fun turbocharger.

Good Luck !!!

PS - I have owned my car since ~ 1988 (Bought with 8,000 miles)

All of those modifications are bolts on and can easily be removed. If you ever need to sell the car, just strip the parts off and put the stockers back on. Shouldn't hurt the car at all.

Zack

If your worried about value, take the mods off it and re-install all the stock parts and sell the car before it hits 30k miles. Buy something with some miles on it and have some fun. If your not worried about value, throw some cool parts on it and have fun!

All valid points. I am really leaning towards doing it. Especially since everything can come off and returned to stock. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon and its not a daily driver so mileage will be about 1000mi per year max.
Probably won't go to the track - well maybe once or twice... Just a nice quick street car.

So I need to look for:
1) turbo - TA49 I guess. What is similar?
2) stretch intercooler - Any suggestions?
3) Alky kit - Alky control or razors, which is better?
4) Injectors and chip - TT chip for sure and 43#?
5) What trans work?

Anything else? As always, I appreciate everyones help!

about changing your turbo...ask bison..he's got one that is in a stock appearing housing but is good for 600hp

1/ Bison or Pat could give you good advice on the turbo. I personally liked the te-60 I had.
2/the PTE slic is a good one.
3/Razor's is alch control.
4/tt w/60's
5/Lonnies stage I or II (extreme automatics)
6/rjc power plate.
7/PTC tc spected for the turbo you select.
8/Boost gauge, audio knock sensor from caspers.
9/ scan-master and power logger if you can afford them for tuning fuel/timeing.

I would go bigger than a TA-49. I have installed 2 and though they did feel stronger in each car I just wasn't that impressed.

blackgn1 said:
I would go bigger than a TA-49. I have installed 2 and though they did feel stronger in each car I just wasn't that impressed.

Turbos only support mass flow. They won't make power. Looking at the other supporting parts usually reveals the lack of performance. Unless you were trapping in the high one teens a properly built ta49 or a te44 isn't out of breath.

If you don't drive it much then keep the stock turbo and put alchy injection on it. Bolting on a larger turbo and still running street gas won't give you the performance you want compared to raising the boost with the stock turbo and spraying alchy.

ks

If you don't drive it much then keep the stock turbo and put alchy injection on it. Bolting on a larger turbo and still running street gas won't give you the performance you want compared to raising the boost with the stock turbo and spraying alchy.

ks
This is an interesting angle. Start with the Alky and see results and move on from there. Any of the other of the above mods immediately needed if I try this avenue? I'll need a new chip for the alky right?

Thank you to all who have responded thus far!

This is an interesting angle. Start with the Alky and see results and move on from there. Any of the other of the above mods immediately needed if I try this avenue? I'll need a new chip for the alky right?

Thank you to all who have responded thus far!

At this level you'll need a good fuel pump (hot wired), injectors, chip and a scan tool and I also use an knock sensor that beeps really loud when the motor senses detonation. When I hear it I let off the gas so I don't hurt the motor.
Once you get this far you'll probably want to upgrade other areas but this will get you started. There may be a few things that you "need" but you don't need to spend a bunch of $$ just to get started.

See the alchy forum for all kinds of info including how to set it up.

ks

At this level you'll need a good fuel pump (hot wired), injectors, chip and a scan tool and I also use an knock sensor that beeps really loud when the motor senses detonation. When I hear it I let off the gas so I don't hurt the motor.
Once you get this far you'll probably want to upgrade other areas but this will get you started. There may be a few things that you "need" but you don't need to spend a bunch of $$ just to get started.

See the alchy forum for all kinds of info including how to set it up.

ks
1st mod on any Buick..
Scanmaster.. without it.. you have no clue whats going on.
2nd.. learn to use and read scanmaster :D

Any major change will require a chip upgrade, i.e. alchy, fuel injectors, etc. The knock sensor is a critical item, imo, I used both the gauge and the audio version. I found the audio does not require you to look at it. It just sounds when you get knock and then you lift your foot.

I do have a scanmaster in it.

So I could start with Alky kit and some TT injectors and chip. See what I have and move on from there. It would also be a little easier on the wallet, as I'd like to do shocks and rims. Where is the best place to buy bilstiens.

Also good point on the knock sensor. I'd also like to know where to get an audible one. I usually watch the scanmaster.