should i buy a new turbo, or rebuild the old???

charleslong

Hello guys, I guess I have some bad seals in my turbo. What do you guys think I should do about this? (a) have a turbo shop rebuild it or whatever. (b) just order/buy a new one.
Let me know what you guys think.
thanks
charles

i know its been posted, but i cant get any responses there.

Honestly, I would just get a new one. Now is an excellent time to upgrade. If you are running a stock turbo, upgrade to a TA-49. No downsides, bolts right on, and flows more air at high boost.

It will cost a couple of hundred bucks more to buy new than to rebuild, but you will be glad in the long run.

Originally posted by mgmshar
Honestly, I would just get a new one. Now is an excellent time to upgrade. If you are running a stock turbo, upgrade to a TA-49. No downsides, bolts right on, and flows more air at high boost.

It will cost a couple of hundred bucks more to buy new than to rebuild, but you will be glad in the long run.

thanks
where is the cheapest/best place to buy one, and is this a better turbo than the te-44?
also, i have a custom 3"downpipe, so i will need something that bolts up like stock.
oh yeah, how much should i look to spend on one of these beasts?
thanks
charles

Call John Craig at Limit Engineering. TA-49 is stock appearing. TE-44 has the inlet bell made into the compressor housing. 44 maybe good for a few more horses. You can't go wrong with either one or John Craig. Talk over your options with him.