Shops that can rebuild motors in STL area

tta1401

Was wanting to know if anyone knows some good reputable shops that knows our motors and can do a rebuild. Since my dad bought my TTA, he is searching for places and thinks he found one and I know this place and I told him NO! They never even rebuilt one and also, it is a TTA and it is just a little different. I know I don't own it anymore but hell, I can't help it but tell him how to fix his own car like its still mine.:eek: :D Does anyone know of anyplace around the STL area?

Rob Nolan,
Where did you get yours done at?

TIA,

Bill Dieckmann at Buick T-Type Grand National Performance Products. He does great work. Been around these engines since the begining. He knows the things insde and out. He totatly rebuilt my 86GN. I think he sends the SB to G&M to do the machine works but Bill installs the engines and does all the other work. He is a great person adn will want to fix every small detail that is wrong.

Billl Dieckmann
Buick T-Type & GN Performance Products
3533 Rock Creek Rd
High Ridge, Mo just outside or St Louis to the west.

Bill is deaf and uses a fax machine to communicate. 636-677-1966 fax. In person he talks and reads lips very well. I almost forgot he was deaf.

I am taking my car back to him whenever I need anything else done.

Originally posted by tta1401
Was wanting to know if anyone knows some good reputable shops that knows our motors and can do a rebuild. Since my dad bought my TTA, he is searching for places and thinks he found one and I know this place and I told him NO! They never even rebuilt one and also, it is a TTA and it is just a little different. I know I don't own it anymore but hell, I can't help it but tell him how to fix his own car like its still mine.:eek: :D Does anyone know of anyplace around the STL area?

Rob Nolan,
Where did you get yours done at?

TIA,
I had mine done at MBJ Machine Shop off 203 in Granite.

Thanks guys. I will let my dad know. Does Bill D. go to GIR alot? I think I might have met him.

2700 miles after my engine was rebuilt it has seized. Bill installed but I think he uses G&M to build the block. I will let you know who stands by their work in a few weeks.

jpratt,

Give me a call about this. I just installed today my new rebuilt engine today from some one else. I hope your engine isn't hurt to bad.

Troy

I driving home from my G.mother's house Friday night. I had the cruise set at 72MPH. It was about 10PM and a light rain so everything was running real cool. Water temp cruising just above 165*. All of a sudden the knock gauge starterd going crazy, real fast going from nothing up to full red. The boost gauge jumped to about 10PSI. I flipped the cruise off the the engine came to a grinding halt. I coast to a stop and tried the starter but the engine was froze. The next day I drained the oil from the engine. The magnetic oil plug was completely covered with metal. The oil did not smell burned and was not real black. It had been changed just 1,ooo miles earlier. I filtered out the oil using a small funnel with a screen at the bottom, after less than 2qts the screen was competely pacted with metal shavings. I removed the Ballwin filter from the turbo saver and cut it open. Again completely full off small metal filings. Copper color and raw metal color. Needless to say I am not very happy. Remember thhis engine only has 1200 miles since being totaly rebuilt, including new cam, crank and piston. The turbo was new, I dont even want to open it up as I know cold oil bypassed the filter at startup and went through the turbo. I am just praying that the failure happened all of a sudden and not slowly allowing the cold oil to bypass the filter. I will let you all know what happened and maybe even show some pictures if I get a chance.

That really sucks.:( I am just getting my head gaskets replaced but I was thinking of getting my TTA done there. Well not my TTA but my old mans.;) I just have the time or patience to do the work and I have no place to do this work.

Any update yet. I know Bill and Mike both. I hope someone stands behind their work. Let us know what happens.:(

Dropped the GN at Bill's yesterday and then went over to Mike's. Not sure what happened and who is going to cover what. Bills is going to pull the motor and send it to Mike and then we weill find out. Mike said that he has never heard of a 231 motor seizing like mine, just my luck. I will let you know what comes out of this.
Jeff

Cahokia Shop

I had a friend of mine do my engine. If you hung at Gateway in the 70's and 80's, uve probably seen him. Bob Cunningham is his name. Ive got 10,000 miles on my engine now, with no problems. I did research on here for all the necessary rebuild specs, i explained to him the problems that alot of people have on here with rebuilt engines, and he built mine to the tolerances that are recomended. He has 2 cnc machines and all the equiptment to do whatever he needs. He works out of a church converted into a machine shop in Cahokia Il, 5 min from downtown St Louis. Hes a machinist wizard. He took care of me. After all that i read on here, i didnt trust going to anyone else. He can fabricate anything, so look him up. He also built my friends 540 BBC. He now has Buick 3.8 experience.

Engine is out and on the stand. Broken crank between 4 & 5. Main journal between 2 & 3 is cracked and has turned black from the heat, caused by the thrust bearing. The harmonic balancer is broken almost in half. The front of the crank is mushroomed from the impact of the crank breaking I guess. Cannot post picture so follow this link and look at page 3.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpratt725

Not sure on the crank yet. I have it with me at my shop. I will check it out later. The bearings showed some signs of detonation, but the head gasket was perfect. Mike at G&M is going to rebuild my block labor free. He says that I either ran with lots of detonation or it was small amounts all the time. NOt sure why things happened but they did. Mike is standing by his work and says that it was not his fault but is helping me out all the same. He really seems to know his stuff when it comes to these cars. He said that he has never seen a crank break like mine. Guess I am just lucky that way. About 2 weeks from now till he completes my engine and we can get it installed. This time we are using steel mains to help out and studs. More info to follow in the following weeks.
Jeff

Havent heard anything lately from Mike at G&M. He said a couple of weeks ago that it would take a few weeks. He is doing the labor for free and I am paying for the parts. Seems to be an ok deal so far. He has blocks in stock and cranks for sale for $400, or something like that. We are building it better this time using Billet mains, hopefully that will hold everythin together a little better. Also this time I am having the heads ported and installing a Impala MAF and translator to better control the proper amount of fuel to air ratio. When I know more I will post more.
Jeff