Ship or drive my Turbo Buick 800 miles

just remember that transporting Coors beer east of the Mississippi is bootleggin'.

Actually did that in 1976. CA to CT road trip. Had cases of it in the back of a bright yellow 73 Mustang Mach 1 fastback. Started smelling beer while crossing the Mojave desert. All the cans started getting pinhole leaks in them. Lost a couple of 6 packs. Very sad. Too hot to drink it.

For the OP, is this a daily driver car or show vehicle. Either way I would drive it but would just be a bit paranoid leaving it unattended at interstate rest/gas stops or at a motel overnite if you can't do the 800 miles in one shot.

I used to drive mine from Ft Bragg to SW Louisiana quite often. It is about 1100 miles. I would drive that on a four day weekend!! This was when it was more stock than it is now. I loved taking road trips in it back then. DRIVE IT!!!

Drive it. I drove my GN from NC to TN, a total 620 miles this pass November. keep it at the speed limit and just cruise. You'll get plenty of thumbs up from passing motorist and lots of conversation at gas stations. Drive It.

Va to Cali drove like a dream almost 3000 miles, lots of looks ttops out and music blasting not a problem,

carry water oil coolant small tool kit and fuel filter couple hose clamps should cover (spare tire) any minor problems:cool:

THE ANSWER IS IT'S A CAR AND CARS ARE MADE FOR TRIPS LONGER THAN TO AND FROM GAS STATION DRIVE IT RELAX SEE A LITTLE SCENERY

If it is mechanically sound: drive it.

Life is too short to worry about what might happen; seize the moment.

u could drive it but the cheapest way to get it there is rent a uhaul trailer, they r 50 bucks a day!

I never understand why people are afraid to drive these cars, been driving them since 1979 "Regal Sport Coupe" days. Just drove "old Betsy" 4hrs + today!
Top off the fluids, check the tires for 35 psi air pressure, burn a good mp3 disc and your all set. I always take spare parts, and tools for a long road trip.

Chuck

just sold my 87 G/N to a board member here from OK,he flew into Orlando and drove back total of 1,854 mile road trip. And the car get's approx 19 mpg...

Drive it!

Drove mine 3k miles in a week last year for powertour. If you can't drive the car a measly 800 miles sell it.

taxes

I think you can write off any unreimbursed moving expenses for a job relocation. Still I would drive that trip - just not on a holiday weekend!

Definately drive it...don't stop at any motels...just drive, plenty of coffee, get tired, roll down the windows for cool air, park your car right next to the garage rest room and pee with the door open:biggrin:

I've done it many times, and I'm 63 (jeeze, did I just say that??:eek:)

Put in your trunk, let's see: spare tools, spare turbo TA-49, bushel of steamed crabs, case of Coors, one Barrett, spare coil, spare radiator, an old four poster auto lift (makes it easier if you have to drop the trans on RT 95), Scot W's phone number in case your LEDs quit or you need some advice on cool, concealable weapons, Shane Grimsley's number in case someone "dissses" you on your laptop while driving (as you read TurboBuick.com) he'll take care of them for you..good man there. Ty's phone number (JohnDeerGN) for really a really good picker upper sense of humor in case you get depressed. And probably Brett the cops' number in case you're pulled over for doing 175 in a 45 zone, so he can assist in the arrest of a "my buddy from TurboBuick.Com" guy. Brett will be able to tell you the fine points of a fast turbo while handcuffing you and throwing you in the back of the squad car, then he'll be able to take your Buick back up to the station to toy with. At least you'll know it'll be in good hands....

And don't forget Bison's number.....call him if you have any trouble with any road punks....he'll come down and mash them flat with just one of his hands...be sure to feed him a steak after that and gently pat his back while saying gently.."Nice, Bison, Nice Bison, there, there:biggrin::D"

And if you need any Turbo Buick part at all, just give Grumpy a call...he owns ALL of them!!!:eek: GM goes to HIM for all parts now!!!! He can be persuaded to give up some of the 12,000 Buick parts he has under his bed alone!

Hope this helps....if you have to pee and can't stop.....use the Coors can...but be careful....that edge is sharp and I'm sure you'll want to have children someday.:rolleyes:

Drive carefully, and do not pay any attention at all to the jerks I guarentee you'll encounter on RT 95!! Ignore them, no matter what. You WILL challenged, as they all drive like they are Mexican drug dealers (and probably are.)

Let us know how you do. One more thing.....bring a portable difibrillator with you, you'll need it when you pull in to fill up.:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

ship it! peace of mind vs getten stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for some hick in a 50 yr old trailer to tow u to his garage in the middle of nowhere.

cause there is no way a TR is gonna break down.... yea ok. ull save a few hundered bucks driving vs. shipping. BFD! and if ur entertaining driving it there then why are u looking at enclosed trailer quotes? should be no more then $650 for an open trailer. go to USHIP.COM and put in a bid. someone will contact u

With a Merritt engine, FMIC & TE63 - Drive south..

With the one you love. A chance to meet the locals. ;)

Here's some borrowed words you probably heard before .... Pull your head from the clouds, and way better than drivin' any Chevy van, so fire it up and wind it out!!

YouTube - John Hiatt - Drive South

rocking.gif

If you don't trust the car to go 800 miles with no issues, ship it. If you're confident in the car you could drive it. I think it should be a financial decision. Which way is more financially feasible? Which way is more convenient to you?

ship it! peace of mind vs getten stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for some hick in a 50 yr old trailer to tow u to his garage in the middle of nowhere.

cause there is no way a TR is gonna break down.... yea ok. ull save a few hundered bucks driving vs. shipping. BFD! and if ur entertaining driving it there then why are u looking at enclosed trailer quotes? should be no more then $650 for an open trailer. go to USHIP.COM and put in a bid. someone will contact u
U ship kinda sucks...

Drove my newest TR home 200+ miles from the old owners house in VA to PA a few weeks ago. Just checked the oil and off I went, no issues. My GN has well over 200k on it now including a few trips down to FL from PA, hasnt let me down yet. If the car is is good running condition, I would see no reason not to drive it, the car will thank you for it. Ive always had better luck with mine when I drive them. When I let them sit in the garage, the develop a new issue every time I take them out.