Shifting issues

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Looking for opinions. Trans shifts 1st to 2nd at 15mph and then 3rd right away then goes into nuetral. Goes back into 2nd eventually. This all started 250 mi after an engine swap. Thanks, Dave

Looking for opinions. Trans shifts 1st to 2nd at 15mph and then 3rd right away then goes into nuetral. Goes back into 2nd eventually. This all started 250 mi after an engine swap. Thanks, Dave

Dave,
You may want to give the circumstances, and the full info for an 100% correct responce to be given. Also, don`t forget the the cable does not adjust correctly.
What actually happened with the trans may make a difference.:eek:

Dave,
You may want to give the circumstances, and the full info for an 100% correct responce to be given. Also, don`t forget the the cable does not adjust correctly.
What actually happened with the trans may make a difference.:eek:
Brian, just trying to get ideas. You did an awsome job on the trans!!! I just think I'm missing something. I really don't think the tv cable itself is the issue, but I got one coming. I will try it first.

Brian, just trying to get ideas. You did an awsome job on the trans!!! I just think I'm missing something. I really don't think the tv cable itself is the issue, but I got one coming. I will try it first.

Dave,
You need to give people all the info possible so they can diagnose the issue properly is what I am throwing out here.
The way it reads, you installed a new motor, and poof, it doesn`t work.

Details always help.

Dave,
You need to give people all the info possible so they can diagnose the issue properly is what I am throwing out here.
The way it reads, you installed a new motor, and poof, it doesn`t work.

Details always help.
OK, I had one of my mechanics pull the motor and support the trans, well the trans dropped a few inches and broke the shifter cable. detent cable was not hooked up when this happened. Trans did not contact floor. Installed new shifter cable and it goes into all gears correctly. The detent didnt look right so I sloted te bracket to get the correct measurement. Still doesn't shift right.

I'm not a trans guy but if I was you the first thing I would check is all your linkage both inside and outside the trans. That includes the shifter. If the trans dropped and full weight was put on the cables and linkage its very possible something got tweeked.

OK, Installed a new TV cable today and still the same! Man this is bugging me. Wanted to put the car away not broke this year:mad:!!!! Thinking poss valvebody issue.

check to see if your cotter pin or spring came loose or bent at the tv valve bracket/assembly on the valvebody,where the cable connects to..I had the cotter pin come out on me one time and trans didn't shift right..you will have to drop the pan to inspect bracket assembly..