shift kits

buickruss

I'd like to know what shift kits people are using and their thoughts on shift quality and ease a installation. I think the time hase come for me to have one installed.

I have a B&M kit and IMO it shifts too high. I've heard good things about pst xtreme shift kits. I think I'm going to take mine out and put in theirs....someday.;)

customer feedback is what you need to check out:

noslo6
87 Grand National

CK Performance kicks A$$ Just wanted to thank Chris for his help with my tranny. I was having problems at the 1-2 shift at high boost. He sent me a bag of parts and after installing everything, my car picked up 1mph and shifts great and holds firm, no more sliding into 2nd gear. I replaced the band, intermediate servo, pressure reg and installed his recalibration kit. It all works great. THANKS CHRIS!!!

lost2a6
only 1/2 drunk

Chris @ CK Performance is da man Just wanted to share a little information with everyone. I have installed several shift kits in my 87 GN over the years. First one was a Fairbanks, could not tell a difference. Second was the new version Transgo, it just plain sucked. Further more when I was ready to remove the Transgo kit I had to buy a new valve body as a result of drilling holes in the valve body from Transgo recommendations. Next I went with a shift kit from Mike Kurtz at Century Automotive. This was an old Transgo kit that he added some extra mods to. This worked the best out of the previous that I had tried but still was not right. I had a 2-3 bind up at light throttle, and a 2-3 flair at WOT. The car would shift hard at light throttle but as soon as I stepped into a little bit of boost it would not shift firm. Also when slowing down as the car down shifted it would get a bad clonk. I just sort of put up with this. Well several years later I decided to bump the horsepower up a bit. I didn’t trust the trans that I had built so I decided to let a professional do it; I took it to Mike Kurtz. When I got it back from Kurtz, it shifted worse then it did before I took it to him. Took it back and he replaced the Valve Body. This helped but still was not right. I then went into it myself and tighten up the direct clutch pack. This helped a lot but still was not right. Next I tore back into it again and installed the PTS Extreme billet forward drum, PTS Wide band and Billet large servo. The trans did a little better but still had the same problems. I then contacted Chris @ CK Performance, he sent me a stock plate, heavy 1-2 accumulator spring, heavy line bias spring and a blocked off center support bolt. To his recommendations I did every thing that he suggested including dual feeding the direct clutches. I put every thing back together and wholly sh!t what a difference this made. It would now shift hard into 3rd at WOT and don’t get that terrible conk when down shifting. After doing this I still was getting a bid up at light throttle on the 2-3 shift, so Chirs then had me remove the PTS billet servo and install the stock one. This made a big difference and the car even shifts into second better with the stock servo (firmer). I now was only getting a very slight hint of bind up so Chris then had me restrict the Direct Clutch feed hole and open up the 3rd acc hole some. Bingo this fixed it. This thing has never shifted this good!!! It shifts with a light bump when cruising; when I step into about 5-6 psi of boost it chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift and hits the 2-3 shift very firmly. The 2-3 WOT flair is gone and the bind up at light throttle is gone; even when I set the car up in race trim with slicks and high boost making approx 600 HP it still shifts firm. (Tire chirping shifts) Chris really knows his stuff!!!!!!! Thanks a lot Chris.
Steve Burnsed

bose

Chris's shift improver The part to fix my lazy 1-2 shift arrived today just as Chris said it would.I got it installed and did not think I could drive my car until tomorrow because it was raining.The rain quit and thre road dried up so I went for a ride.My 1-2 shift is now as fast as I can ever rember it to be and it is again chirping the tires on the shift.It did what Chris said it would.Bruce

ponch

Ck performance does it again Well I just installed my promotional shift kit and all I can say is WOW. Before, I couldn't get that 1/2 firm shift that I desired and now...lets just say the first time out after I made sure everything was functioning fine and fluid levels checked out, I stretched its legs a bit. Now the 1/2 shift leaves a 6-8 foot mark and third squeaks out a chirp. When I first installed it and test drove I had to take about 2-3 clicks out of the TV adjustment but after that all is well, Nice firm part throttle shifts without the bang shift that I have heard others mention.
It took me about 3 hours to do myself and wasn't too bad. The only thing was when I was changing the Boost valve I removed the wrong valve and sat there and wondered how and the hell this really large boost valve was going to fit in this tiny hole. The valve that was supposed to be replaced is right about the gear selector notch thing? (not sure what it is called(Park pawl?)) for anyone else curious. The one I first removed was right above the TCC. Beside that it was easy to install..just a pain to keep the fluid out of your hair and armpits.

Well I just would like say say thanks to Chris for offering me this and being patient with me since I have had this for about two months before I was able to install.

Thank You CK performance!
Kevin

fast eddie
Supporting Member

CK Performance comes through again Needed a part for my trans gave chris a call at CK Performance and he new what I need and what I was talking about and shipped the part out same day
Thanks Chris

GS70350
Round Headlights.Like em?

Thumbs up for CK performance shift kit Finallly got around to installing the shift kit, found out we are moving to huntsville so alot of stuff got put on hold. Anyway, it shifts great, not too harsh, just right. 2-3 shift was improved, 1-2 feels great. Before, 1-2 was good and firm, but 2-3 was quick and smooth, i wanted it to be a little firmer, and this worked. I still have the kit to install in the OG code 200 that is going in my 70 GS, and ill let you know how it works out as well. Definately recomend this kit! Thanks again

Author Topic: CK Performance Shift Kit (My opinion after installing it)
Member # 3383

I recently installed the shift kit that Chris sent to me. What a difference! I am really impressed by the way transmission shifts.

This kit is very complete. It includes both boost valves, a seperator plate, Valve body springs and a new servo. The install was not very difficult and took me about 4 hours on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Before I started the install I took a few pressure readings. The line pressure at min TV was 60 PSI and at max TV was 130 PSI. No wonder it did not shift firmly. After the install my new pressures were 80 PSI at min TV and 240 PSI at max TV. The shifts are firm at low throttle. As you push down the shifts get more and more firm. At full throttle this thing shifts HARD. This actually surprised me as the other shift kits that I have tried in the past shifted real hard (perhaps too hard) down low and seemed to run out of steam at WOT. With this kit the shifts are crisp and clean (2-3 is exceptional, NO Flare.) This is definately the best shift kit I have owned.

John

Do your own search/research

I've used most shift kits made and have found the PTS kit the easiest to install, totally reversible--in case it does not meet your personal preferences--and right on at every shift point.

Do your own search to check comments on other brands.

The one kit that everyone seems to agree that you should NOT use is the TransGo kit. TransGo makes some good stuff for many trannie models but just did not seem to get it right with the 2004R.

I installed the CK Performance Shift kit last night.

It had some really good, high quality parts in it and installed very easily, even I was able to do it.....

The shifts are crisp and firm. I had a transgo kit previously. the installation of that compared to this kit was far more cumbersome.

Chris K is a huge help too and answers any questions you may have.

From lifting the car to the test drive it took about 3 hours.......

:D :D :D

Art Car high tech valve body kit is flipping outstanding. I love it shifts are aggresive but not nasty and a nice crisp shift into OD.