Shell E85 has changed

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
Last season the Shell stations around here had stickers on the E85 pumps indicating "this is not a Shell product". I was measuring 85% no problems.

Just recently I noticed they are now marketing Shell "FlexClear" decals on the pumps and the pump also has a large new decal that says MINIMUM 51% ETHANOL

Sure enough I tested it yesterday at less than 65%.

JUNK!

Luckily I can pump it out of my Buick and into my Silverado.

Yup it sucks but I'll get by. Still have Thorntons, Road Ranger, and Speedway to fall back on hahaha......:)

Seriously the only good thing about Illinois is the E85 availability.

You ever look in to buying it by the drum. I know I checked and it was cheaper and very feasible to get e85 or e 98.

I'm thinking about it. Not sure where to go though. Straight to the grain silo? lol

Almost all the fuel oil suppliers will carry it.....they usually supply farmers/road crews ect...

You ever look in to buying it by the drum. I know I checked and it was cheaper and very feasible to get e85 or e 98.
Got me thinking and found this. Not sure what recycled beer is. Piss? Lol

1402066031495.jpg

:p My guess is that they are getting bad beer from breweries and distilling the alcohol out of it. Not every batch of beer works out, so instead of tossing it, the ETOH is distilled out and used for fuel.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I pictured a bunch of rednecks getting smashed and pissing into the containers. It was not a pleasant image.

:p My guess is that they are getting bad beer from breweries and distilling the alcohol out of it. Not every batch of beer works out, so instead of tossing it, the ETOH is distilled out and used for fuel.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Yeah, I was kidding. Lol. Probably should say rejected vs recycled. Lol. Either way, takes a lot of beer at single digit alcohol content to produce 95%. Back on topic. Sorry OP. :(

Where to get E85.

Just considering switch to e-85 and i have to go 35 miles to get it!! Any new concerns uprising on this? Please don't tell me the feds or local gov. is in charge. Florida has few in my area but was willing to deal and try it. On the fence................:cautious:

I'm drinking some Mickey's right now and have spare gas cans. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last season the Shell stations around here had stickers on the E85 pumps indicating "this is not a Shell product". I was measuring 85% no problems.

Just recently I noticed they are now marketing Shell "FlexClear" decals on the pumps and the pump also has a large new decal that says MINIMUM 51% ETHANOL

Sure enough I tested it yesterday at less than 65%.

JUNK!

Luckily I can pump it out of my Buick and into my Silverado.
Is it significantly less expensive than E85?
Do you know what the octane rating is for the 40% gasoline it is mixed with?

Is it significantly less expensive than E85?
Do you know what the octane rating is for the 40% gasoline it is mixed with?

The shell E85 (measured at <65%) is $3.39/gal. I assume its Ethanol / 87 octane blend but don't know.

Road ranger down the street is $3.09. Measured at 71%

Thorntons down the road is $3.00, measured at 88%

And the SpeedWay a few blocks away is $2.64/gal, measured it at 83% a few days ago. Filled my truck up there this morning :)

I ran the Thorntons this weekend in my Wife's 87T. Stock motored car with a TA49, turned a couple of 11.70's blowing through the loosey goosey vigilante. I wish I had a PTC in that car.....

Nice info. So you get samples from each station, go home and measure?