Sheet metal valve covers for stock style heads

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I really liked the stage 2 valve covers I made before, but I sold them to fund some TA heads. I've been wanting to build another set for the TA heads. I bought a sheetmetal brake a couple weeks ago, so now I have no excuses not to make some.

First step is design them up in cad.
BVC1.jpg

BVC2.jpg

I sent the flanges off to be waterjet cut and hope to have them back by this weekend.
buickvalvecoverflange.jpg

The pattern. I'm going to try to bend it all from one piece.
bvcpattern.jpg

And my new box and pan brake. I've wanted one of these for a long time.
CIMG1052.jpg

can't wait to see how they turn out [im sure great]......your threads are some of my favorite posts.... You truly are talented... keep the projects flowing :)

aaron

can't wait to see how they turn out [im sure great]......your threads are some of my favorite posts.... You truly are talented... keep the projects flowing :)

aaron

Thanks for the compliment. I like looking at other peoples stuff, so I figure others like seeing mine.

Flanges are cut. I've got everything I need to put them together and no other plans for the weekend. Hopefully I'll get these done.
IMG_9069.jpg

Is all the Machinery you use are yours at home? That helps to have access to what you need..:)

Looks cool.

Ive pondered doing a custom set with oring groove inlay for the base to head vs a regular gasket as well as a 2 pc design that allowed the top to be removed for adjustments and inspection.

Is all the Machinery you use are yours at home? That helps to have access to what you need..:)

Yes it's all in my very cramped two car garage. With all the machinery, there is enough room for one car and room to walk. I had to rearrange half the shop to make room for the brake.

Yes it's all in my very cramped two car garage. With all the machinery, there is enough room for one car and room to walk. I had to rearrange half the shop to make room for the brake.
I know the feeling about cramped.

Looks cool.

Ive pondered doing a custom set with oring groove inlay for the base to head vs a regular gasket as well as a 2 pc design that allowed the top to be removed for adjustments and inspection.

I've considered making these and selling them. I read an old thread here where people were talking about what they wanted and lots of people mentioned two piece valve covers. Why? I don't understand what you gain by adding a second flange to seal. I'm making these with a 3/8" thick flange that should have no problem sealing. Adding a second pair of flanges would add a lot of cost in both material, machining time and welding time.

If you did make them ...make sure they would fit with a/c installed... I think that was the major downfall with the first ones made...most people couldnt use them because they wouldnt clear the heater box/shield.

aaron

It would also be cool if the top would be water jet cut (or whatever) to fit the stock style twist lock oil fill tube extension... I have a few metco breather tubes that i cant use because of my aftermarket valve covers...

If you did make them ...make sure they would fit with a/c installed... I think that was the major downfall with the first ones made...most people couldnt use them because they wouldnt clear the heater box/shield.

aaron

It would also be cool if the top would be water jet cut (or whatever) to fit the stock style twist lock oil fill tube extension... I have a few metco breather tubes that i cant use because of my aftermarket valve covers...

Thanks for the input I'll consider it all if it gets to that point. I have ideas that could make all of that possible at a cost. Making them to sell is a big if right now. I'm very doubtfull anyone will be willing to pay what it costs to make these. And I'm not sure the profit from them would make it worth my while.

I hope this doesn't bug anyone because turning this into a sale thread isn't my intent.

Awesome Mike!!!! Let me know how much! ;) jk [...kinda]

would those clear the heater box..... i would be worried that the bolt hole might be too tall on the RS outer corner....closest to the firewall... I know my GN1 covers are real tight.
[ forget this if you removed your A/C]

aaron

Awesome Mike!!!! Let me know how much! ;) jk [...kinda]

would those clear the heater box..... i would be worried that the bolt hole might be too tall on the RS outer corner....closest to the firewall... I know my GN1 covers are real tight.
[ forget this if you removed your A/C]

aaron

I don't have AC. I still have to trim down the bolt posts and I'm going to put counterbores in them for socket head cap screws. I built these fairly low profile becuase I have TA heads with T&D pedestal mount rockers. They are ~3" overall height with a typical cork gasket.

Very nice!! Removable top section would be really cool and you could actually sell multiple tops sections (different designs). I vote for clear plexi tops.

Bryan