SG1 vs. "109"

Wht87T

All Throttle... No Bottle
I know that the SG1 block is not a stage block but a direct replacement for the 109 casting. Are there any differences between the blocks?

Don't want to step on any toes here, but I have torqued a girdle onto a regular 109 block, & seen the block distort as it is tightened between the block & the girdle.
I should mention that at the time I had a standard bore 109 block, & a standard bore SGI block & was asking the same thing myself.
So I torqued the girdle on the SGI block & there was a big differnce in the distortion of the block.(SGI better)
GM put more meat around the bottom of the cylinders in the SGI block.

Originally posted by jamesmac
Don't want to step on any toes here, but I have torqued a girdle onto a regular 109 block, & seen the block distort as it is tightened between the block & the girdle.
I should mention that at the time I had a standard bore 109 block, & a standard bore SGI block & was asking the same thing myself.
So I torqued the girdle on the SGI block & there was a big differnce in the distortion of the block.(SGI better)
GM put more meat around the bottom of the cylinders in the SGI block.

From the link I posted off of gnttype.org......

"Close examinination may reveal slight casting differences but those could be just variations in the casting process"

Maybe the casting process was better with the SG1 compared to the regular 109s..... It wouldn't surprise me if GM decided to add more meat.... If that's the case I wonder how many of the 109s being used in TSM are SG1s and I wonder who is using them??:D This might open up a can of worms:eek: ;)

As far as I know the stage I is more closely related to a stageII block than a stocker. Way more material in the main webbing, can be drilled for 4 bolt mains, cam moved higher in the block to clear stroker cranks, and all around beefier. Looking in the Buick Powersource book, it also weighs a bit more than a 109 block. It's been a long time since I've seen one but I think it has the material there for the extra head bolts too. I've heard it's basically a stageII block minus the extra machine work.

Originally posted by cool 84
As far as I know the stage I is more closely related to a stageII block than a stocker. Way more material in the main webbing, can be drilled for 4 bolt mains, cam moved higher in the block to clear stroker cranks, and all around beefier. Looking in the Buick Powersource book, it also weighs a bit more than a 109 block. It's been a long time since I've seen one but I think it has the material there for the extra head bolts too. I've heard it's basically a stageII block minus the extra machine work.

True on the Stage 1 block cool 84.

But the SG1 block they are talking about is a replacement block for the 109 if I remember right.

Well that definitely clears up some questions about my block. Thanks for the replies!

I guess that's what I get for posting while half asleep lol. Should've paid closer attention to the first post.

Originally posted by Wht87T
Well that definitely clears up some questions about my block. Thanks for the replies!

So I take it that means you got a SG1 109 block? I'm looking forward to seeing your car at the Bradenton event! Maybe you can beat out Louie for having the fastest Hartline built stock block (TSM) car:D

Yea I have a SG1 block... thats the reason for post. Yes I am definitely planning on being at bradention. The drive from daytona isent very far. As far as your comment about having the fastest hartline built TSM car, louie holds that title. (for now... j/k)
Well I would consider the motor extremely competive the way it stands. Its just all those other variables I have to get in order to run the number. i.e. suspension, tuning, driver, etc.... Oh and here's a pic of the car so I guess ya'll can recognize me.
http://www.ermca.com/gallery/Activities-Fair/aae

John, I agree with Larry that is one sweet lookin' TR you have (it even has the cornering lights like mine)!

I'll see ya at BMP:) :cool:

Originally posted by 86brick
So I take it that means you got a SG1 109 block? I'm looking forward to seeing your car at the Bradenton event! Maybe you can beat out Louie for having the fastest Hartline built stock block (TSM) car:D

Dont count on it;)

Ahhh- yeah , but- I always thought the shortest distance between two points was a STRAIGHT line? Did you see the photo of his car- is that the Space shuttle in disquise? :D Larry

Originally posted by Larry
Ahhh- yeah , but- I always thought the shortest distance between two points was a STRAIGHT line? Did you see the photo of his car- is that the Space shuttle in disquise? :D Larry

That is funny...:D

Louie,

Good luck in TSM this year, loved the video of your car launching hard.

Stay well.

Originally posted by Wht87T
I feel the love from my fellow new jerseyans......

Rich loves you he just doesn't know how to show it (this is probably because his mother did not breast feed him or something like that):D :eek: ;)