settle a debate

turbojitsu85

OK I was out at a bar yesterday and a buddy and I use that term loosley was telling me how a new chip for his 2001 VW GTI can give the car an extra 60 hp. I don't know really anything about those cars but is this true? Can he get that much of a gain by just swapping out chips? I told him that I thought that it was doubtful mostly because I know this guy is full of **** half the time not to mention he has never done physical labor a day in his life. By that I mean he doesn't even change his own oil. After we got off the chip discution he goes on to tell me how fast his car is and how he would love to race me just to show me up, amd how he smoked a couple of Monte Carlos. Now my car isn't the fastest but I don't go around challanging anyone and talking **** so it pissed me off a little.

Sounds possible to me. In fact, my PSD F-350 has a flip chip in it and I gain 75 hp in one mode and 125hp in the race mode.

Joe

unless its a turbo or a heavly modified engine, theses NO way that a 'chip' gives that kinda hp increase. Period.
Mybe 5-7 hp but thats about it. All it can do on a NA car is to change the timing curve a lil and play around with the a/f ratio. No magic. Not much to gain.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
unless its a turbo or a heavly modified engine, theses NO way that a 'chip' gives that kinda hp increase. Period.
Mybe 5-7 hp but thats about it. All it can do on a NA car is to change the timing curve a lil and play around with the a/f ratio. No magic. Not much to gain.

Thats what I was telling him because thats how it was expained to me when I got my chip and yes the car isn't heavily modified because he can't do any of the work himself.

He got that from that Super2ner TV show that is on saturdays. I flipped through to look at it when the draft was on commercials. They upgraded the turbo and had to change the chip in the ecm and it got them the 60hp he was talking about. He came in after they talked about the turbo, so he only saw the chip segment and ASSumed that only it gave him the 60hp.

Scott