Setting TPS

Paul Clark

I've done this many times before, but I seem to have lost my touch.
What's the easiest way - without using a file.
Have also read numerous opinions as to what the desired numbers should be.
What "should" they be?
Also confused about the ideal WOT setting.
I have floormats in my car most of the time, but remove them at the strip.
That effects the WOT # on the TPS.
Should there be a "with" and "without" floor mat setting?
Arghh.
How did these things ever run right in 86-87 without bringing them back to the dealer every few weeks for re-adjustment?
Thanks

The actual setting is not super sensitive....

You should be looking for about but no more than .46 volts at idle.... and preferribly about 4.55 volts or higher at WOT....

It is only a reference for the ECM to know... idle.. and WOT.....or in between... if it falls to .46 (+0/-.06) at idle ... and greater than about 4.5 volts at WOT.... you are good....

If you vary way off that... it might give driveability problems....

It should not need resetting hardly ever... unless you jack with the throttle blade position screw.... trying to set the IAC...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

Hi,
I agree, there is not a lot of variation in tps voltage once it's set properly. It's also not the most important input the ecm uses to cruise down the road. Low speed cruise mixture and TCC lockup are two things tied to the TPS.
It's all a unified package, of course. Our stone age computer systems are often cantakerous due to silly stuff. Good luck with your trouble!

Your ECM will go into power enrichment at 3.8V....That is all you must have for WOT. I recommend you set it to the parameters you find on the GNTTYPE.org site though :)

Yeh - I'm being too picky. Just got to wondering about what was going on at something less than WOT. At the track I try to stick my foot through the firewall, but I hardly ever do that just having fun on the street. It got me questioning how magic that 4.65 number really is.
Blazer406 mentioned the IAC. Am I correct in that doesn't mean doo-dah at anything other that idle? And with some chips, does it mean anything at all (as long as the plunger isn't stuck)
Thanks guys.

The thing you must be concerned about is full extension of the TV cable.. so your floor mat adjustment should set for that.

You dont get full extension on the TV cable.. you'll burn up the tranny.

HTH

That's another thing that has always confused me.
The TV cable should be set so the throttle blade(s) completely open at WOT, right? So why not just go by that when setting the cable adjustment?
Also Razor, I wanted to be the 1st to thank you for the write-up on Chasing Knock, but my internet service screwed up. So, please accept my belated "Thank You". It's appreciated.

No problem. It may not cover 100% of all conditions.. but gets a person going in the rite direction... hopefully :)

As to the setting cable to throttle blade.. thats fine, but you need to assure that when you floor the pedal, the blade does go horizontal. That is the question. If the blade is horizontal.. then no issues on TV.

The TV cable should be set so the throttle blade(s) completely open at WOT, right?
That's backwards. The TV cable is controlled by the position of the throttle, not the other way around. You should set the accelerator cable to fully open the throttle, and THEN adjust the TV cable.

Background Information on the TV Cable....

You'll find an exhaustive explaination about the TV cable, how it works, how to set it, even where to buy parts, near the bottom of the 'GENERAL INFORMATION' section of the TTA FAQ List :)