SES light, gas smell

LJ_

A couple of days ago I noticed my service engine soon light was coming on after the car would idol for a few seconds. It goes off after you start to get up to speed. Tonight I started getting a very strong gas smell inside the car and underneath the hood. I couldnt see any fule leaks, but it was dark. I dont have a scantool.

Any suggestions on where to start looking tomorrow or what to do would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ps..its a WE4

Check your codes...

with a paper clip. Take a paper clip and insert the ends into the two top right holes on the aldl connector under the dash. Watch your ses light it should blink once then twice three times, thats normal after that it should start blinking the codes. Heres an example:
blink.......blink blink........blink.....blink blink.......blink......blink blink that equals 12(1 blink pause 2blinks) then trouble codes after such as this:
blink blink blink......blink blink blink blink(equals trouble code 34) and it will flash this code 3 times also. Record all trouble codes and when it blinks 12 again you should have all of them. I may have confused you and some one may have an easier explanation. Let us know what you find out.:D

Thanks you all for replying. I'll do the paper clip thing first go from there.

LJ...check out Ken's link above, tells you exactly how to check it without a scan tool. Also tells you what the codes mean! Very good info.;)