service engine lite pops on...

morg87t

had the buick out today . after car's been running for a little while service engine lite pops on . if I rev the engine , the lite goes out . the exhaust smells real rich too. it seems to using alot of fuel . could the 02 sensor be bad ?

My car had the same symptoms when I bought it. I replaced to 02 and that fixd the problem.

Pull a code to be sure.

DOes the idle stumble a bit when the light comes on?

are you referring to a scanmaster code ? I do not have a scanmaster . One tool I should have huh.

On the ALDL connector below the radio... jump the 2 terminals with a wire (paper clip) that are on top right row on the connector. The check engine light will flash out the code(s), take notice of how fast they flash. For example: code 12 will read.......Blink(1)............................Blink...Blink(2) and will repeat itself. If you jump the terminals right the fan should come on :wink:. Also if the code is "system rich" it could be the o2 sensor or it could be something that is giving the ecu bad info and dumping fuel into it. Also, get a scantool!!!

On the ALDL connector below the radio... jump the 2 terminals with a wire (paper clip) that are on top right row on the connector. The check engine light will flash out the code(s), take notice of how fast they flash. For example: code 12 will read.......Blink(1)............................Blink...Blink(2) and will repeat itself. If you jump the terminals right the fan should come on :wink:. Also if the code is "system rich" it could be the o2 sensor or it could be something that is giving the ecu bad info and dumping fuel into it. Also, get a scantool!!!

Just like you, always trying to get someone to spend $$ :biggrin::biggrin: Haha, actually X2 on this. It is the only way to go. Had a few of these with the same problem. Probably the O2. Get a good one and then it wont happen every year ;)

hey thanksfor the help ,picked up an 02 sensor afew days ago and just took the chance it was it . installed tonite what a great job that was. seems to run better its just to hot to run the car .