Seeking your opinions on a wheel/tire combo...

Smokin' 6 Shooter

Semi-New Member
Been doing lots of research here and on other sites to see what will work best for my application. Wheel design, stance, driving style, etc. is a matter of taste so I'll try not to bore you with mine. However, the laws of physics apply and numbers do matter so I recognize there are limits to the size(s) I can stuff under my ride. Other self-imposed parameters:

1) No notch or lip roll. Essentially a bone-stock '87 GN, its future monetary value is in keeping it that way. Present fun value will be subservient to reversible modifications.

2) No racing. Apart from storming freeway onramps or spirited passing maneuvers, I have no desire to enrich my city's coffers via citations. Track time sounds appealing but I'm more about Slowin' & Showin' so onlookers can admire the Regal's clean lines. Keeping up its street cred I leave to the rest of you.

3) Period appropriate. While reading and getting excited about its potential back in the '80s, I had GNX-sized dreams of out-doing Buick's engineering. But I could barely afford a used GN and had other life and career aspirations beyond performance cars. Fast-forward to now and maturity brings a more nostalgic view. The largest factory performance wheels GM offered at that time (17") came on the 1988 Corvette so, in keeping with the era, I will let that temper my ambitions.

4) Available rubber. Back in the day, the GNX's 255/50-16 rears were considered "steamrollers." How times change and, to my recent discovery, 16" sizes are dwindling. 15's seem to hold due to the classic muscle market while 17's are now the more common (and inexpensive) 'new normal' for larger options.

Given the above (scarcity of 16's notwithstanding), I'm going for a staggered set up:

16x8.0 (front) 245/45-16 (alt: 245/50-16, 225/55-16, 225/50-16)
17x9.5 (rear) 275/40-17 (alt: 275/45-17, 285/40-17)

A few others here adopted this approach and, observing that the Regal profile grows 'thicker' toward the rear, larger wheels look proportionately more accurate. Its a subtle effect to be sure but one that feels appropriate (to me anyway).

My first choice will put the rear diameter at 25.7" and the front at 24.7" which (I assume) will create a slightly more aggressive rake on a stock suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems many folks here run these wheel/tire widths in non-modded wells without rubbing issues. I hope to also have success but, just to be sure, will invest in a Percy's Wheel Rite tool to verify correct back spacing and clearances.

Am I missing something? I welcome input from all, congratulatory, constructive, critical or otherwise. I'm here to learn and willing to take lumps and/or lauds with equal enthusiasm.

Thank you...

I run a 275/40R17 rear and needed to roll the fender lips. I think most who run a 275 or 285 roll the lips.

What's your backspacing?

I'm not sure as I've never actually measured it. That's why I'll be purchasing a Percy's Wheel Rite tool to verify tolerances (assuming I use it correctly).

@T-CHRGD - That's good info to know though a bit demoralizing given my self-imposed parameter of no lip rolling. I really want to run at least 275's in the rear...

@T-CHRGD - That's good info to know though a bit demoralizing given my self-imposed parameter of no lip rolling. I really want to run at least 275's in the rear...

Just measure and measure again. It may fit.
Also, some 275's are smaller than others.

275 will fit no problem with the right backspacing

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

275 will fit no problem with the right backspacing

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Can you refer me to other members on this site who run 275's or 285's rear on 17" wheels and still kept their frame and sheet metal virgin?

I want to poll them (or anybody reading this) as to what backspacing they use.

4.5" bs will fit a 275 depending on the tire. Some are very blocky, some are more rounded. Nitto invo's fit well.